Mt. Rainier , Washington


Advertisement
North America
July 5th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Majestic Mount RainierMajestic Mount RainierMajestic Mount Rainier

This is a beautiful mountain. The weather and glaciers around it control what happens in the park.
We visited Mt. Rainier today and were so impressed with the beauty of this place.

It is hard to imagine that several days of rain in a wet region such as the Pacific Northwest would close a national park for six months. But when copious amounts of water (18" in 34 hours) rushed down hillsides and roads and overfilled the rivers within Mount Rainier National Park's boundaries, the end result was a loss of campgrounds, roads, trails and utilities. The devastation was amazing. The flood occurred on November 6 and 7, 2006, just last year. It was an historical, natural event unlike any other that has been recorded in Mount Rainier National Park's 108 year history!

The river which is normally very small in comparison to most rivers swelled to 100 times it's size , rushed down the canyons and destroyed everything in its path. See the pictures that are enclosed.

The glaciers one used to be able to reach from the road and walk across, now have receded 3 miles, receding at the rate of 3 feet per day. Could we blame this on global warming? Perhaps.

Recent research at Mount Rainier National Park has measured
Mt. Rainier and two clownsMt. Rainier and two clownsMt. Rainier and two clowns

An oriental man asked to take a picture of the two of us with the mountain as the backdrop...
aggradation (the rate at which Mt. Rainier's river beds fill with rock) in most park rivers to occur at a rate of 6 to 14 inches per decade. In comparison, during the November flood of 2006, the riverbed where Tahoma Creek flows under the Nisqually road rose more than four feet !

Due to the aggradation, the White River is currently 16 feet above adjacent SR410 in some places. Parts of the historic Longmire Village are 29 feet below the current elevation of the Nisqually River and the river is nearly level with the park road in several places.

Most people think that Mt. Rainier is all about the mountain but we learned that is not the case. Mt. Rainier and the changes around it are all about the glaciers and what is happening to them.

Even so, the Mt. Rainier National Park is still one of the most beautiful spots in Washington. It is a must see on your list of things to do when touring the Pacific Northwest.

Majestic Mt. Rainier
This is a beautiful mountain. The weather and glaciers around it control what happens here in the park.

Mt. Rainier and two
Beautiful Christine FallsBeautiful Christine FallsBeautiful Christine Falls

There are many beautiful waterfalls in the park but this was our favorite.
clowns
An oriental man asked to take a picture of the two of us with the mountain as the backdrop.....ha ha ha

Beautiful Christine Falls
There are many beautiful waterfalls in the park but this was our favorite.

Adjacent Mountains
This is one of the sister mountains adjacent to Mt. Rainier.

The receding Glacier
The glaciers are currently receding at the rate of 3 feet per day and have receded nearly 3 miles over the last decade. Will they completely disappear? Who is to say?

The beginning of the glacial riverbed
The glacial riverbed begins here at the glacier and runs downhill into the glacial riverbed.

The Glacial River
As the glacial river flows through the canyons, it is at some points, 180 feet below the road and only 7 feet wide as in this picture shot from the bridge looking down upon the river from 180 feet above.

The glacial Riverbed
It is hard to imagine this little river filling the cavity in which it now rests.

The historic Longmire Gas Station
This old gas station was the first and only one in the park. From here you can take a tour
The receding GlacierThe receding GlacierThe receding Glacier

The glaciers are currently receding at the rate of 3 feet per day and have receded nearly 3 miles over the last decade. Will they completely disappear? Who is to say?
bus or drive your own vehicle to Paradise and the historic Paradise Inn. The Inn is under renovation and will reopen in summer of 2008. Stop at the Inn for Blackberry Pie and coffee .......hmmmmmmm delicious!

The Copper Creek Inn
The Copper Creek Inn is a wonderful place to stop for lunch or dinner. They have a wonderful menu and a great friendly staff to assist you.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The beginning of the glacial riverbedThe beginning of the glacial riverbed
The beginning of the glacial riverbed

The glacial riverbed begins here at the glacier and runs downhill into the glacial riverbed.
The historic Longmire Gas StationThe historic Longmire Gas Station
The historic Longmire Gas Station

This old gas station was the first and only one in the park. From here you can take a tour bus or drive your own vehicle to Paradise and the historic Paradise Inn. The Inn is under renovation and will reopen in summer of 2008. Stop at the Inn for Blackberry Pie and coffee .......hmmmmmmm delicious!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1019.8kb