Safe Arrival


Advertisement
North America
July 20th 2007
Published: July 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

What an intereting plane flight! Had seen most of the movies on offer and the temperature in the plane would have made an Arab feel at home..........must've been about 50 degrees 😞 Sat next to a lovely couple in their late 50's who were on their way to Vegas to meet up with friends. The wife was very conservative and quiet - however the husband was intent on drinking as much wine as his body could absorb in the 12 hour flight from NZ. Upside to this was that everytime he ordered a Chardonnay he also ordered a Gin and Tonic for me.

Arrived at LAX at 1pm. Surprisingly, I was in and out of the airport in about 30 mins - no body or bag search only fingerprint scans and a digital photo. Made it to my hostel on Hollywood Boulevard by about 3pm. Very impressed.

The 'Banana Bungalow' is conveniently located within walking distance to all of the major hollywood attractions ie: Kodak Theatre, Wax Museum, Graumans' Chinese Theatre, Ripley's Believe it or Not and much more. I took at least an hour to walk three blocks as I stopped to check out every "star" on the pavement along the way. Hollywood is certainly not glamorous and Hollywood Boulevard is lined with Sex shops and other stores selling a variety of burlesque and risque wares. Local characters also hang out on the street offering guided tours of the stars homes. African American men also harass you as you walk past offering you their CD demo of Hip Hop music .... for a generous donation of course.

The Kodak Theatre, home of the oscars is quite large but has a small street frontage. Various impersonators stand out the front offering tourists the chance of a 'photo with a star'. Unfortunately, Hollywood has been hit by Harry Potter fever with the three main stars planting their palms in the cement last week outside Graumans Chinese Theatre. Most of the impersonators where of Harry Potter fame and Lord of the Rings, bitterly disappointed Brad Pitt was not in attendance!

My first experience in a hostel is interesting to say the least! I am in a shared dorm with three men and two other women. All seem quite nice and the place is clean for $30 a night.
Highlights: The Hollywood sign can be seen from the street and social activities are organised on a nightly basis. Thank goodness I am Jet lagged as tonights activity is a pool competition - and I certainly would not end up with the prize money.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb