The Ultimate Surf Travel Guide: Top 10 Destinations for Wave Chasers


Advertisement
North America
May 11th 2023
Published: May 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post



When you're a surfer, you have an automatic instinct to take chances and seek out new places because exploration is everything. The ultimate wave, the unridden jewel we've pursued for years, drives most surf trips. There is always an element of chance and good fortune in surfing.

As a surfer, the thrill of exploration is inherent, leading you to seek out the best surf spots in the world. When exploring a nation where you feel relatively at home and familiar with the culture, it may be okay to go with the flow simply.

Southwestern France



France is a great place for surfers and culture vultures alike. Hossegor and Biarritz are two coastal towns around 30 minutes apart on the southwestern coast. The Biarritz Surf Festival and the World Surf League tournament conducted annually in Hossegor (often in August/September) attest to the quality of the surf in both locations.

Bali, Indonesia



The 'island of the Gods' is a must-visit for any surfer, as it is encircled by waves of varying difficulty, making it a great place to learn or hone your skills. Each year also features a plethora of international surfing contests. Bali has a strong health and wellness sector, so the island attracts visitors who aren't surfers for other reasons. Bali is a flexible vacation spot that can accommodate a wide range of visitors without disappointing anyone.

Spain's Basque Country



Northern Spain is another great option for a surf vacation in Europe. Surfers will enjoy the shoreline all the way to San Sebastián, although Mundaka is known for having some of the biggest and greatest waves in Europe. Upon leaving the sea, a plethora of possibilities open up to you. The area has the second-highest concentration of Michelin-starred eateries in the world.

Canada's Vancouver Island



Canada's west coast is home to a vibrant surf scene, which may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Canada. Although there are several excellent wave-riding areas, Tofino is where it's at. Those who don't mind braving cold water and bulky wetsuits can score some excellent waves.

Baja Norte, Mexico

Northern Baja, just a click south of the US border, is a great alternative for people seeking a cheap vacation with a wide range of activities. Miles of empty waves await surfers while their significant others may relax with cocktails at a cheap beach house.

Cape Town, South Africa



Travel to South Africa for a one-of-a-kind surfing adventure. Cape Town, situated at the base of Table Mountain, is often regarded as one of the world's loveliest urban areas. It is one of the most famous surfing spots in the country and in Africa.

San Francisco, CA



San Francisco's pounding waves are just one more attraction for surfers worldwide. Ocean Beach near the city is a challenging break for beginners, but there are several more beginner-friendly beaches in Pacifica to the south and Marin County to the north. Even though surfing is more commonly associated with the sunny days and beach lifestyle of Southern California, the state as a whole has more to offer than any other location in the world.

Florianópolis, Brazil



It has more than 60 beautiful beaches, making it the best place for a surfing vacation in Brazil. However, the New York Times once named it the "party destination of the year," so even those who dislike surfing may have a good time.

Kaikoura, New Zealand



Kaikoura is a beautiful coastal town flanked by majestic mountains and a famous surfing destination. If you want to see sperm whales, there is no better spot in New Zealand than in Kaikoura. New Zealand visitors go there for the sea fishing, hiking, and charming little town atmosphere. On the North Island's coast, Raglan is far and away the best site in New Zealand to ride the waves.

Bryon Bay, Australia



Bryon Bay is a popular spot for surfers and budget travelers in Australia. Byron Bay is in far eastern New South Wales, about an hour's drive south of the Cool Coast. It attracts domestic and foreign visitors due to the high quality of its many beaches. In addition to snorkeling and scuba diving, whale viewing is popular here. Migloo, Australia's famous resident white whale, may appear while you're there.

Raglan, New Zealand



Back in New Zealand, Raglan is a popular surfing destination due to its tiny size and volcanic black sand beaches. A number of popular surf spots, including Indicators, Whale Bay, Manu Bay, and Vortex Bay, can be found within a short drive of Raglan (about 8 kilometers or 5 miles). Raglan is situated in close proximity to the Lord of the Rings' famous Hobbiton set.

Chicama, Peru



The wave at Chicama is reputed to be the longest that can be surfed. People travel from all over the world to surf there since it has become so well-known. Although Chicama may be surfed at any time of the year, peak season is from April through October.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.501s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb