Into Nebraska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 20th 2017
Published: August 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_2651IMG_2651IMG_2651

There were lots of wild sunflowers.
Today we crossed the Missouri River and drove about two thirds of the way across Nebraska to the town of North Platte. We are in a busy campground, filled with people here for the solar eclipse tomorrow. North Platte, and actually much of Nebraska, is in the zone of total eclipse. I see lots of out-of-state license plates. The forecast is for intermittent clouds tomorrow; hope it all works out okay. The eclipse is going to happen around noon here.
Nebraska is much flatter than Iowa was. As we traveled west across the state we gradually saw less soybeans and corn and more cattle grazing.
We took a break along the way in a small town that was a pony express stop and we visited the old original station. I was surprised to learn that Buffalo Bill Cody got his start as a pony express rider, at age 15. Its a fascinating part of American history.
Well, supper is done and we are going to check out the town a little this evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

IMG_2652IMG_2652
IMG_2652

The flat Nebraska countryside.
IMG_2653IMG_2653
IMG_2653

The pony express station in Gothenburg, Nebraska.
IMG_2654IMG_2654
IMG_2654

The newspaper ad used to recruit riders. Some riders did die.


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb