Glacier & Yellowstone


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 29th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We re-entered the States to guess what the usual hassles from US immigration.

We were at a small border crossing with limited fuel (the low fuel light was on had come on 20 minutes earlier). First we saw a guy who called over his 'partner' when he looked at our passports. He was questioning why our passports still had the green visa waiver form in. Luckily his partner said that they only take them out when you fly out of the country. However she proceeded to ask us various questions like when was the last time we smoked weed and if we had any in the car! Of course we said no, she then proceeded to tell us that if we had any and she searched the car and found it, we wouldn't just get fined, we would go to jail. Even though we had nothing she kind of made us feel guilty. Eventually after asking us for about 4 or 5 times she was satisfied we had nothing so let us through.

It wasn't for another 22 miles until we found a petrol station, thankfully we made it with running out!! So we arrived in East Glacier and
Perry getting hot under the collarPerry getting hot under the collarPerry getting hot under the collar

Perry started to overheat as we were driving up the steep 'Going to the Sun' road.
managed to get into the hostel OK.

The next day we drove the 'Going to the Sun' road which took us all the way through Glacier NP. This is where 'Perry' (our car) had his first mis-hip. We were driving up a steep hill stuck behind some old dodders in front, this caused the engine to overheat and water started to bubble over the expansion tank as it was boiling. We checked for leaks but luckily there weren't any so just let the engine cool down then carried on again.

From Glacier we drove south to a place called Bozeman in Montana, where Montana State University was. We arrived on Thursday, and unknown to us, every Thursday during the summer Bozeman has 'Music in Main'. There is a live band in the main street and everyone can drink in the street and it's like a big street party. Also that night a girl paid us $10 to have our seats in a bar! We stayed an extra day and used the internet at the uni all day for free, where I updated some of my blog!

The next day we drove down to West Yellowstone to the
Old FaithfulOld FaithfulOld Faithful

Erupts every 92 minutes...
land of Yogi bear. First we saw the park ranger who told us 3 days worth of visits to the park. First we went to see Old Faithful, a big geyser which erupts every 92 minutes, and the surrounding geysers and hot pools. On the drive we saw Bison for the first time. The 2 days we had 2 loops of the park to drive, 4 and 6 hours respectively. Along the way we saw more sulphur pools and geysers, but also came across the 'Grand Canyon of Yellowstone' which was really nice. In our hostel we met a guy 'Badger' who was from England and was riding his Triumph Bonneville motorbike around the US. He had come over to see a girl he had been talking to for 11 years on the internet but she refused to see him!

We discovered that our rubber boot on the front right driveshaft had split and the CV joint was wearing out. To combat this we bought grease and have been applying it everyday since! It would have been $300 to repair.

We left Yellowstone and drove south to Salt Lake City, home of the Mormons. Perry again overheated when
Hot poolsHot poolsHot pools

Yellowstone Park
we got into town but it was over 100F. Not much happened in Slat Lake except we had free internet so my blog got updated!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bison!Bison!
Bison!

There were lots of Bison randomly wandering into the road, this one was near to some hot springs


16th September 2006

Poor Perry!
Your car does look sorry for it's self, you're obviously working it too hard! Still, it got you all the way back to Santa Barbara so it must be a faithfull friend by now. Yellowstone looks a great place to visit, you lucky people! Mum xx

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb