RIHLA 8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
December 19th 2012
Published: December 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Article: Poppy Harlow survey New York school damaged by Sandy; Harlow says its students are 'resilient'



Scholars Academy is one of 56 schools in New York still closed because of damage from Hurricane Sandy. Poppy Harlow surveys the school and comes to “Starting Point” to describe how people can help the school and its students like eighth-grader Ryan Panetta rebuild after the storm.

“You can still smell the destruction Sandy wrought at Scholar's Academy,” Harlow says. When Sandy hit, the water gushed into the school that is wedged between the Atlantic ocean, Jamaica Bay and a sewage treatment plant. “Surveillance cameras captured the ocean pouring into the basement and climbing the stairs of Principal Brian O’Connell's beloved school.” But he and the students are dedicted to rebuild.

1. How does it relate to what we are learning in class?

The hurricane can be compared to the Black Death because of the amount of people that died. What happened in New York is probably something that would be marked as history.





2. What did you find to be most interesting and why? (Do you agree or disagree with any of the points?)

That during the hurricane there was a school that was between the Atlantic ocean and the jamacia bay and a sewage treatment plant and all of it was mixed together.





3.What questions does it make you wonder?

How far away was the sewage treatment plant away from the school? Also how bad was the school damaged from the hurricane?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb