The Top Places to See in the USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 18th 2012
Published: October 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

New York City

Too many people, New York City is the personification of America; tough, ambitious and versatile the city has seen its fair share of trouble and still has problems but it is an American icon.

The location of more films and television shows then I can list you see scenes from your favourites films around every corner. I haven’t even mentioned the touristy options such as the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You’ll scarcely have time to breathe when visiting the big apple but it is definitely worth a visit.

Grand Canyon

One of the most impressive sights in the natural world is the Grand Canyon; indeed it is listed as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World by CNN. The canyon is carved out of solid rock over millions of years by the Colorado River in Arizona.

This 227 mile long, and at times 1 mile deep, canyon is stunning to behold and is well worth a look for anyone heading through that way. Considered to be a sacred place by native peoples the Grand Canyon has, and will, take people’s breath away for hundreds if not thousands of years to come.

Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park is the most famous of the USA’s parks and rightly so. It is a sanctuary of, and for, nature with its forests, rivers, volcanoes and waterfalls.

There is over 3,400 square miles of this beautiful landscape for you to explore whether it’s by hiking or cycling you should see as much of it as you can. Although when out walking it is best to be prepared because you may come in to contact with some of the larger elements of the park’s wildlife like bears, wolves and bison.

If you can’t make it during summer have no fear because it is also a great place to spend winter with guided tours of the park operated by snowmobile or snow coach. This UNESCO World Heritage site also provides a great place for scout camping trips or that father and son fishing trip you’ve always meant to go on.

Smithsonian Institution

Mainly located in Washington D.C. the Smithsonian is actually a group of 19 museums, 9 research centres and a zoo, which in total house around 137 million items; it is no wonder that it is known as “the nation’s attic”!

With over 30million people visiting every year it is one of the most popular attractions anywhere on the planet. Whether you’re interested in Aviation, art, industry, design, history, animals or nature there is something for you in the Smithsonian’s numberless vaults.

The White House

If you’re in the area, perhaps after exploring the Smithsonian, then it is definitely worth a look at the home of US Presidents since 1801. We probably wouldn’t even call it the White House if it wasn’t for the renovation that took place after the British burned it in the War of 1812.

Tours can be organised, via your member of congress or through your national embassy, to have a look around this famous building. It is well worth a visit just to see the Oval Office and maybe even to catch a glimpse of the President or First Lady.

The Alamo

The site of one of the most famous battles in American history is now hemmed in on both sides by modern shops but that doesn’t take away the historical significance of the old mission. It is still the most popular tourist attraction in Texas; in fact Texans are so proud of it that it is an official Texas State Shrine.

In 1836 during the war of Texan independence a large force of Mexican soldiers advanced on the tiny garrison at the Alamo. Despite repelling two attacks the defenders were eventually overwhelmed and virtually wiped out. However, the time gained by the main Texan army proved invaluable and eventually led to Texas being victorious. The heroic defenders of the Alamo have been immortalised in film and TV; the likes of Davy Crockett and James Bowie have become state, and national, legends.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb