RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 21st 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. Some books are banned because of sex, profanity, and racism.

2. I do not agree with any of the reasons listed above because people are exposed to things every day, so I don’t see any harm in reading about it.

3. I think reading about these topics will help prepare high school students for the real world. Trying to “protect” and not let them read books that may help them understand some things better is only hurting them. The students are at the age where they are faced with these problems on a day-to-day basis and no one can censor it from their real lives, so it should not be censored or banned for them to read.

4. Parents pressure teachers on what they should and should not teach. Teachers pretty much have no choice but to listen to the parents because they are teaching their children. Teachers cant just flat out ignore a parents request or something similar when they are planning their curriculum. They have to take into account everything especially parents’ views because they want to keep their students.

5. A person can fight against the censorship by attending school board, library board, and PTA meetings. This gives them an opportunity to step up and let their voices be heard on the issue. You get to experience what it’s like to fight for something and work with other people to achieve a common goal. Also you get to see what books people want banned, and you can step up and say what you need to say then and there.

6. No further comments.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb