Trip to Banff


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
June 17th 2011
Published: June 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today is Day Two of our journey. After a quick Starbucks in Calgary, we boarded a bus that would take us on a day long trip. Although Banff was a short distance from Calgary, we stopped along the way for sightseeing. Our first stop was at the Rafter Six Ranch, site of the original Royal Canadian Mounted Police. There was a museum of Indian regalia, a collection of horse buggies, and other interesting artifacts. The ranch also raises Clyesdale horses and buffalo.

From there we were taken to all of the various peaks surrounding Banff including a gondola ride to the top of Sulphur Mountain. It even snowed for us on the gondola ride! Another stop put us in view of the famous Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel which is absolutely gorgeous and we took pictures from this vantage point. The bus cruised some more and we got out several times for picture taking ops and for lunch. At lunch we had a quick chance to walk around the town of Banff which is quaint and beautiful, reminiscent of the Alps with majestic mountains all around and European style architecture.

By 4:00 p.m. the bus dropped us at the Fairmont Banff Springs where we are staying. It is stunning! The property is so big, we actually got lost trying to find the restaurant we were looking for! It is unforgettable! I will include pictures for you to see the grandeur. I have wanted to come here since I was a child. Being here is a dream for me. This is one of the most popular destinations in Canada because of it's train access, the hot sulphur springs, and all of the offerings for golfers, skiers, hikers, bikers, and shoppers.

Tomorrow Steve and I are going back into the town of Banff to explore it more thoroughly. I'm sure there's a souvenir I will have to have to remember the place. There are luxurious shops and a lot of eating establishments. I found a Christmas shop and for those of you who know me well, you will know that I was overcome with joy! That will be a place for me to drop a few dollars.

Unfortunately the weather has not cooperated but it has not dampened our spirits! It has rained with a few sunny breakthroughs a couple of times per day. We bought a few postcards to appreciate how it looks in the bright sunshine! More tomorrow. Now we are


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



18th June 2011

PIctures
Please be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the pages to see the rest of the pictures!

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb