From Desert Spiritual Sanctum to Hedonism in Sin City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 26th 2011
Published: June 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Though it was a long drive through the Mojave desert, Joshua Tree National Park was the perfect respite spot for some reflection and relaxation after our non-stop days in the cities. The National Park is named after the giant yucca that proliferates in this area of the desert, and the Joshua Tree got its name from the Mormon Pioneers – the plant reminding them of their biblical leader Joshua, standing arms out-stretched raised towards the heavens.

It’s a magical place that echoes with serene stillness and quiet tranquillity, mountains of boulders rise from the earth as if stacked by the gods, spring wildflowers dot the forest floor, yucca and cacti punctuate the horizon, and lizards laze in the sun. Night calls for sleeping under the stars to behold the stellar spectacle above; the skies awash with light, blanketing out the dark night.

We spent a couple of days exploring the desert, leaping over boulders and crawling through crevices and generally just being in awe, drinking in the essence of this wonderful place. We camped, sheltered by boulders and honed our cooking skills, serving up tasty Mexican inspired treats such as spicy tacos and breakfast burritos, our meals accompanied by the sounds of a flute being played in the distance. Our photos really don’t even begin to capture the magic of Joshua tree.

Although we would’ve been happy to spend days longer resting in the park, we were in dire need of a shower and decided to hightail it to Vegas the next planned stop in this whirlwind roadtrip, taking a detour via Palm Springs. Coming through the Morango Valley we were flanked on all sides by gargantuan wind farms that were harnessing the gale force winds that tore through the valley. In Palm Springs we took the Aerial Tramway that ascends 2.5 miles from the Sonoran desert floor to the alpine forests of San Jacinto, (the equivalent of driving from Mexico to Canada) where we enjoyed the cooler temperatures and meandered through the forest on a few small hikes.

Coming into the bright flashing lights and sensory overload that is Las Vegas was quite the shock after the peacefulness of Joshua Tree. In Vegas everything goes: the casinos competing for custom by replicating famous landmarks – no need to go to Italy or Paris, you can ride a venetian gondola here or climb the Eiffel tower. It’s been described as Disneyland for adults – a place where dreams are made and fortunes go bust. Drinking, gambling, theatre, fine dining, carnival rides on skyscraper rooftops, a quickie wedding, midget wrestling – they’re all on offer here.

Not sure about the ethics of midget wrestling, we opted instead to be shot off the side of the Stratosphere dangling in a roller coaster over Las Vegas. Here we met our first Australians of the trip, Gavin and Amy, (also from Melbourne) who we joined for drinks and were quickly convinced to try our luck at the Circus Circus Casino (yes, it takes the form of a giant circus marquee!). Not big gamblers, we were a little slow to start, and after I lost my first dollar in under 30 seconds in the penny slot machine I needed more convincing to so easily part with my money. After watching Dave and Amy winning on the Roulette table for a few hands, I decided to buy in also. Lady Luck was in the house and we all made a tidy profit, Dave and I clearing nearly $200! So we can officially say that we went to Vegas and won!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



18th June 2011

Excellent photos!
Wow, looks like you won a lot of money. Good for you. Looks like you enjoyed some nice hiking. Keep those blogs coming.
18th June 2011

Excellent photos!
Wow, looks like you won a lot of money. Good for you. Looks like you enjoyed some nice hiking. Keep those blogs coming.
18th June 2011

loving the news
Hey Guys, So love the photo's of Joshua Trees. Thanks for sharing the trip with us - saves us the money! But you are right we can only get a tiny taste of what you're experiencing. I remember the contrasts too, Disneyland one day Tijuana the next. Love to you both. Yvette.

Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 36; qc: 151; dbt: 0.1538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb