The Forgotten Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 30th 2010
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mexico BeachMexico BeachMexico Beach

Notice the prickly pear next to the palm tree...nice!!
9-29-10
Left the Moose Lodge in Panama City headed for Port St. Joe. We stopped at That Boot Store and tried on some things, but nothing was perfect...I've been looking for a new pair of "cowboy" boots since we left California...but the owner of the shop and his wife were really sweet characters!! He has worked in the shop all his life...his Dad started the business when he was 10 years old and it's still thriving!! They had been on an Alaskan cruise leaving out of Seattle, so had planned a week beforehand to check out Seatown...they loved it, so she told us all about their travels while I was trying on things...we have had SO MUCH fun visiting with folks all along the way...
So...back on the road. Stopped along the side of the road in Mexico Beach. It was just a little town...didn't even look very "touristy", but right along the gulf. The beach was gorgeous and had the most shells we've seen anywhere along the surf!! This is exactly the kind of place I was looking for...sleepy little town right along the gulf!!! Back on the road to Port St. Joe. It too, is a sleepy little town,
Home sweet home...Home sweet home...Home sweet home...

This unassuming little house sits right on the gulf (just across from the palm tree in the last picture...) My kind of place!!
but as it's on the bay, the marina took up most of the waterfront. We had some lunch at the Harborside Cafe...YUM!!! I had shrimp wrapped in wontons and deep fried with a yummy miso dipping sauce...G had a grilled shrimp po'boy with the best fries...if you're ever in PSJ, you've got to stop in!!! The bartender lives on the peninsula and was telling us about living through Hurricane Dennis...yikes...he loved the adventure, but he was also only about 25 years old!!! (and didn't even have a generator...)
Decided we'd head for Carabelle for the evening. Pulled into the Sunset Isle RV park about 6pm. The owner was there to greet us with his Natty Light in hand 😊 He had apparently owned the land for some time, but just completed a portion of the sites and the pool area this spring. It's going to be an ownership park (buy the lot and get a boat slip, too), but there are only about 3 campers in it including us. Very quiet, and we spent a relaxing evening just hanging out. He told us he's originally from Ohio, but has lived down here for the last 20 years...I'd say he was about my age, and he was telling us about the area...where to go have oysters, and how the economy has affected them. Sounded like the drop in the economy in 2006 hurt them much worse than the oil spill...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb