The California Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 8th 2002
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The California Adventure

Jeremy graduates from DINFOS. July 2002.

Just graduated MOS schoolJust graduated MOS schoolJust graduated MOS school

Lets hit the road Babe.

A couple’s 1st cross-country journey


By: Toni Vought



Foreward



-Jeremy had just graduated from the Defense Information School in Fort Meade, Md. and was being stationed in California. I agreed to ride with him and his car to CA and fly back.

That was only the beginning…..

The Beginning: Monday, July 8th, 2002



-We left Coudersport, PA around 6 o’clock pm. in an overloaded, black, ’91 Ford Probe. It was looked over and inspected earlier that day, but they forgot to fix the blower, so we had no air conditioning. This was a bad sign from the start, but we began our trip anyway.
-We traveled all through the night, finally stopping at a Welcome center just across the Iowa border. (A point in our travels Jeremy became very tired so it was my turn to TRY and drive. We had a little driving lesson before we left on our trip, so I was supposed to be ready to go. But we found out that I really wasn’t when I stalled in the semi truck lane entering a tollbooth. What a heart stopper!) We made it though Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. We took a break at 4 o’clock just for a short 1-½ nap.

Tuesday, July 9th, 2002



-On the road again, but we didn’t travel too far before we stopped to eat at the nearest Perkins. We soon made our way into Nebraska, until our car lost power and stalled out just before a large truck plaza. We hoped we could make it just one more mile, but we failed, so we called AAA to come rescue us. The tow truck driver towed to the truck plaza and told us to wait 45 minutes to let the fuel rods cool down. He said this happens and lot and he tows numerous cars with the same problem each day. He also mentioned that Fords were the worst cars to have out here because they just can’t take the heat. So, we sat a while, called our folks, chowed down a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut and soon we were back on our way.
-Traveling only another hour we broke down again. We called AAA once again and we were towed to a garage in Kearney, Nebraska. The mechanic said we probably had a weak full pump and he would try to
The Camp Pendleton gateThe Camp Pendleton gateThe Camp Pendleton gate

We made it.......!!!!
find one for us. But the Ford Dealership was closed for the day so; he said he would call them in the morning. So, we were stuck in Kearney, well, at least until the morning. The owner of the shop gave us a pick-up truck and told us to call him in the morning to see if he found that part. So, we traveled to the Days Inn for a good nights rest.

Wednesday, July 10th, 2002



-In the morning we called the Kearney Auto Shop to find out that there was no part to be found, so we returned the truck and headed on our way. The only advice the mechanic could give us was not to put gas in the car that contained alcohol or ethylene and if we broke down applying ice would help cool the fuel rods.
-Continuing on, almost out of Nebraska, route 80 was shut down. So, we had to take a detour: 61 South, 23 West, and 6 West, finally getting back on track on route 76 West. Soon our third break down took place just passed the exit for Keenesburg, Colorado. Once again we called AAA, but not without having numerous problems connecting. Even the CB we brought along didn’t work. Soon the tow truck came and towed us all over the place looking for a fuel pump for a ‘91 Ford Probe. He even called the Ford Company and they said the part was backed ordered until January. Finally he found one in some warehouse about an hour away and dropped us off at Bob’s Auto Shop where the part was going to be delivered in the morning. But the mechanic hadn’t put the Probe on the diagnostic, so we weren’t even sure if the was the fuel pump was the problem. Jeremy didn’t like the shop the tow truck driver dropped us off at and he decided he wanted to leave. So, we did.
-Making it just outside Denver, Colorado we stopped for a bite to eat at the El Rancho restaurant located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. I had the most excellent Prime Rib I’ve ever had. After eating we decided the best thing to do was to travel through the night as much as we could in efforts to avoid the heat of the day. So, that evening we made it to Utah and started to head down 191 South so we could visit the Grand Canyon. Soon Jeremy got tired and I tried to drive the Probe, just a little bit. Once again I almost had another accident; I tried to enter a gas station by driving over the curb. Stalling in traffic, I decided I really didn’t want to drive anymore. Jeremy got a small nap and soon took over, making it to Moab, Utah. This is the town where he claims a mountain bike rally takes place here every year. Making Moab our last stop of the night we stayed at another Days Inn.

Thursday, July 11th, 2002



-In the morning we once again began our trip to the Grand Canyon, but we didn’t get far when our car broke down again in the middle of nowhere (smack dab in the middle of the famous Monument Valley). As usual Jeremy’s cell didn’t work very well especially since we were on one of Utah’s old country roads. So, we sat an hour and a half waiting for the car to cool down, in the mean while putting ice on the fuel rods as we baked sitting in the desert. During our wait, a Navajo Indian stopped by to help out, but he end up just chatting with Jeremy for awhile. But of course the Indian was drunk, which made the conversation a little bit more interesting. He kept saying, “It’s was too hot to do anything so all I do is get drunk and pass out.”
-Finally we could move again, crossing the AZ border, and trying to make it do the next town. But a few miles down the road we ran into road construction. We sat 20 minutes, finally making it only anther mile and breaking down in the construction site area. A construction worker stopped and said he would call us a tow truck because we couldn’t get a signal on Jeremy’s cell. The worker mentioned that it would take the tow truck a long, long, long while and Jeremy and I wondered why. A little while later Jeremy got a signal on his cell and we proceeded to contact AAA. Now are there two tow trucks coming? I was worried. Anyway, while we were sitting there multiple people stopped to see if we needed water. Yes, we have Water! And by the way what are those trucks hauling?
-So, the tow truck comes, its a Navajo Indian from the nearest town called Kayenta, Arizona. We were stranded in the Navajo Reservation. I was still wondering about the two tow trucks coming so Jeremy asked him if AAA called he and of course he said No. So, I was still worried. Anyway when we got to the auto shop it so happened that AAA did actually call them just after the construction worker did, what a relief. When we arrived at the nearest shop there are already 2 other Fords waiting to be fixed, what a sign. There was no way were going to be able to get a fuel pump for the car here, so we made reservations for a Ryder truck in Flagstaff, AZ, chilled out for the evening, and waited for nightfall.
-In doing so we went to the local Burger King and ate, breaking Jeremy’s fast food renouncement. We asked the mechanic what there was to do on the reservation and our only option was the local movie theater. Only one movie to choose from and low and behold a memorable one: “Wind Talkers”. This was one of the most interesting things of our trip. Since the movie was about WWII, showing Marines in combat and Navajo Indians as the communication throughout this war. I sat in the theater with a Marine by my side and many Navajo Indians surrounding me. The only white people in the crowd of Navajos. After the movie we headed on our way to Flagstaff so we could pick up our Ryder truck in the morning.
-Making it, just barely to Flagstaff we found ourselves staying at another Days Inn. We were so tired and in the processing of getting our stuff out of the car Jeremy dumped the water jug all over the back seat and floor. This was just what we needed. It was bound to happen because the handle of the water jug kept pulling off.

Friday, July 12th, 2002



-In the morning we headed out to find the Ryder dealer. We found it in the Flagstaff Airport, actually it was Budget that had the Ryder trucks, so we were a little confused. Of course the truck we ordered for 10 o’clock wasn’t there and the tow dolly we ordered was in another town. After that news they said we owed 400 and some dollars. A 100 dollar deposit, plus the cost in full. We were like what, how are we going to pay for this. So, we decided to use three credit/debit cards until Budget told us they could only take two cards and cash. We were like okay; we’ll just get some cash from an ATM. But there was no ATM in the airport, so we had to drive to some gas station with a car that we didn’t know when it was going to break down. Returning to the airport and paying our bill, we finally got our truck and dolly, but now we had no money and we didn’t know when Jeremy was going to get paid. So, I called my mom to see if she could put another 100 dollars in my account. But it was already past 2 o’clock, forgetting the time difference. After all she ended up not putting money in my account because the bank said the transfer would take until Tuesday or Wednesday, so that wasn’t going to help us.
-Meanwhile, Jeremy was outside trying to learn how to load his Probe onto the tow dolly. I guess Budget had some policy and they couldn’t help us hook the car up. So the Budget guy was giving Jeremy some quick instructions and we had to try and hook up the car ourselves. It was a major hassle and we wondered if the car was really going to say on. We had 581 miles to make to Camp Pendleton and we were on our way. I was just so thankful that we finally had air conditioning because it was so hot!
-Now we’re ready to go to the Grand Canyon. It took Jeremy a time to get used to the driving the Budget truck, let alone when pulling his car. Arriving at the Grand Canyon we first pulled along the side of the road and looking over the South Rim trail. We also realized the Probe was half way off the dolly, the tire straps came off and they kept coming off throughout the entire trip. So, we looked over the rim, did a little picture taking, and went on our way. Soon I realized we passed the visitors center. This was one of the main things I wanted to visit, but I wasn’t quite sure how to get there. Things were getting more and more frustrating and I began getting upset and yelling. So, finally we parked at the country store, Market Plaza, and figured out that we had to take a shuttle to the visitors center. We had problems parking and our vehicle was just too long for two parking spots, so we were parked very crooked. But we left it anyway since there was nothing we could do about it. After arriving at the visitors center and taking a quick tour, I was very disappointed because there was not much to see. So we went across to the bookstore and I got a cancellation stamp and the Grand Canyon sticker for my National Park Passport book. Finally, I was happy, but I wish we could of seen more, since we had the trailer we didn’t stop anywhere else. Heading back to Market Plaza we saw that there was a police officer parked by our trailer. Luckily he wasn’t out to get us, but we thought he was because we were so badly parked.
-We then started to head to Las Vegas. I drove a little bit because Jeremy was very tired. Soon we switched back and he drove the rest of the way. On our way to Las Vegas we decided to go over the Hoover Dam. But before we reached the dam we kept seeing signs for no commercial vehicles or trucks with trailers are permitted to go over the Hoover Dam. All we could think was, that we were going to get to the dam and we would have to turn around. Anyway, we made it to the checkpoint before the dam and of course we had to pull over. “So, what are you hauling,” said the officer. “Just towing a broken down car,” Jeremy replied. He still had to open the back (which was completely empty) and in doing so the officer jokingly said, this looks a little fishy. Finally through the checkpoint, we stopped at one of the lookouts before crossing over the Hoover Dam.
-Soon we were at the outskirts of Las Vegas, we made it. It was at night so, the city was really glowing, hence the title, “The City of Lights”. It was really spectacular as we dove through it in awe. I wanted to get a closer look and take one of the main routes downtown into the city, so Jeremy gets off the exit and soon he decides this is not something he wants to do. He felt uncomfortable diving in the night traffic in an unfamiliar place and with this huge Budget truck. So, we got back on Route 15 South and headed to the nearest town called Jean.
-Making to Jean we saw that there were two casino/hotels so we decided to stay in the one called Gold Strike. Having trouble finding the entrance we drove around the building for a while, we were also wondering if we could even get in because Jeremy wasn’t twenty-one. We finally decided to park the car and find an entrance to walk into. Soon we found the hotel reservation desk and stood in line to order a room. Not knowing what the price was going to be, we were hoping is was low, because we were broke. Finally getting a desk attendant, she first explained to us that the electricity was out and that they hoped that it would be on by 11 that night. We said okay, since they had a generator everything was working except the air conditioner. A room cost only 39 dollars, making it the cheapest hotel we stayed in so far, plus it was also the nicest. While we were getting ready for bed the air came on and everything was finally peachy.

Saturday, July 13th, 2002



-Waking up at the Gold Strike Hotel the first thing we wanted to do was get some food because we were starving. So, we ate at one of the restaurants in the hotel called the Bonanza Buffet and had a huge breakfast buffet. Then we decided to play some of the many casino games around us. We tried a few and got some change. We didn’t really like the jackpot rollers because it was all chance, but we enjoyed the poker machines. That was until we got confronted by a security guard asking us for our IDs. Of course I got my hand stamped and Jeremy was kicked out of the Casino. So we left after the guard said it was a 10,000 dollar fine for being underage in a casino.
-Back on the road, heading to Camp Pendleton, we were just a few miles from the California border. I had an idea that I wanted to take a picture of the welcome signs into every state, but we just couldn’t stop with a dying car, but I definitely wanted to get the California sign because this was sort of our trip’s goal. Of course, when the time came to stop we sped right passed the sign with me yelling and Jeremy never seeing it. “Do you want to stop now,” he asked. “No,” I said, “its way back on the road!”
-Soon after we crossed the border, we were stopped once again. This time it was as roadblock by the Agriculture Department of California. Stopping, the official asked us what we where hauling and if we had any fruit. I was like, “Yeah we have some apples and one plum.” After asking us where we were from he confiscated our apples because no produce can cross the boarder east of the Rockies. The man took my apples to save California’s Agriculture!
-Traveling on, Jeremy became very hungry, but he couldn’t just eat anywhere, it had to be Kentucky Fried Chicken. After passing three of them we finally had to get off the next exit and back track so he could eat. After making a parking spot we head in to have a very talkative women in line behind us. She started the conversation by asking Jeremy, “What does your tattoo say?” And from then on it was one question or comment after another and by the end of the chat he was supposed to be looking for someone with the some last name, a Navy Corpsman stationed at Camp Pendleton. Once we were stuffed we headed back on the road. But we didn’t get to far when I mentioned that we needed to find a restroom and now! Passing a few exits that didn’t have signs for anything he finally pulled off one that had a hotel and food sign. What a mistake! So, we were heading to a town called Fallbrook, which took us forever because the road was so curvy and he was trying to speed with the truck as I was yelling. Finally we see a Texaco. We fly into the driveway and I run into the john. After this episode we laughed the whole way back to the highway saying this was a $6.00 poop stop. Because we were already way over the miles that Budget had given to us and it was .60 cent per extra mile. So, going 10 miles out of our way made it that expensive. Back on the highway I looked at the map and realized that Fallbrook was actually located at the east side of the base. OH Well!
-Finally, we were on the last major route of our trip, 76 West, heading to Oceanside. But then we had no idea where to go next, until Jeremy remembered his Master Gunnery Sergeant saying, “Make a right on College Blvd.” In doing so, we soon ran into a guarded entrance -Camp Pendleton!!! But first we had to get inspected once again, because of the huge Budget truck we were traveling in. Passing the inspection, now what? We had no idea where we were going. All Jeremy knew was that he had to be in his Alphas to check in. So we pulled into a small shopping center and Jeremy was going to change into his uniform in the back of the truck, while I looked at his orders for some sort of direction to take. But before that he had to take another bathroom break. Now on this trip there was no lack of stopping for any bowel movements that needed to take place. After his return, we were trying to find all the stuff that he needed to get dressed when a women in a pick-up truck pulled up beside us. She started off her conversation stating, “You’re going to think I am very strange or crazy, but you see that man over there in the black hat? Would you go over there and get his name for me? See, it’s a long story, I swear it’s him, and he can’t be around me. I have a restraining order on him. I’ve been sitting in this parking lot 2 hours now and I’m so worried that’s it him.” So, I called for Jeremy because I wasn’t about to go over there. There was this group of men setting up these huge tents in the shopping center parking lot for some sale they were having and this man was in the crew of them working. Anyway, Jeremy finally said he would go over there. He was supposed to say all this stuff and then get his name. But of course he came back and never got his name. The lady, her name is Rachel, was even more hysterical and asked Jeremy to go over once more and get the guy’s name. Once again he went over, only to return with the title: Miguel, and that he didn’t play baseball. Still the woman was convinced it was this man because his name was Michael and in Spanish it was Miguel. Anyway, she soon left giving us her phone number in case we needed a place to stay for the night.
-Finally Jeremy was dressed and we headed to the 1st FSSG building that Rachel Directed us to. While pulling into the parking lot a military police car was following us. Oh, great, now what? He yells, “You look lost, what are you looking for?” and directed us to the correct check in station. Soon the check in process began and we had to wait for some one to come and get us from the FSSG unit. He soon arrived to direct us to the Administration building, taking Jeremy’s orders and sending us to the lodge on base. But of course it was full. So, then they sent us to the Bachelors house, which was full as well. Then we were given some maps and a list of hotels so we could find lodging off base. Finally, back through the gate of Camp Pendleton and into the civilian world we headed to another Days Inn. Why, not, since we’ve stayed in one almost every night - but they were full too. Okay this excuse was becoming a trend and I suggested a non-chain hotel. But Jeremy said that the lady at the Bachelors house said to stay clear of them due to drunks and loud parties. So, we tried the Travel Lodge, which was also quite full and expensive. Then we saw a Comfort Suites, no luck either, but they did help us out and found a room at a Best Western on Mission Avenue. Now we had to get out of the Comfort Suites small and tight parking lot. Jeremy thought there might be an entrance at the end of the parking lot, but there was no outlet. So, we tried backing up the truck and it just wasn’t working because there was a flowerbed/curb area in the parking lot that we kept running into. Plus you are not supposed to back up with a tow dolly. There was no way Jeremy could fully turn around because there was a car parked in our way. So, he tried slowly turning, backing up, and pulling forward until we could go no more because the tow dolly was so twisted. We weren’t going to make it. Eventually we decided that we had no choice but to unhook the car, drag the tow dolly around by hand, pull straight and proceed to hook the car back up. So, that’s what we did. After about an hour of being trapped in the Comfort Suites parking we were finally on our way.
-Now we had to find the Best Western. The desk attendant at the Comfort Suites told Jeremy to just go up the street and it would be right there. But it wasn’t right there or at least we didn’t see it. Meanwhile, there was an awful scraping sound coming from the back of the truck. We stopped once and Jeremy got out to see what was hitting or scraping; finding nothing he got back in the truck. Once again we heard the awful noise. Finally he said you come out and look with me. I said, “Honey, the plates the wheels roll up onto are only a fourth of an inch off the ground.” Then he realized that he forgot to lock the middle bolt that holds the plates up. We must have been flinging sparks ever bump we hit! So, the awful noise was taken care off, but we were still trying to find the Best Western. Still very lost we take a right up a street to hopefully turn around. Then Jeremy remembers that the hotel was on Mission Avenue, which was the street we were on. Up and down Mission Ave. we went and we still couldn’t find the Best Western, even though the lady said it was right there. So, we stopped at a 7Eleven to ask for directions. The clerk said, “Take a right and it will be just before you get on Route 5.” We passed Route 5 and still never saw the Best Western, but we kept on going and eventually we ended up running into the Pacific Coast. Knowing we were wrong we turned around and headed back the way we came. This time I called the Best Western on Jeremy’s cell. Still we got the same response, “It’s right on Mission Ave, YOU CAN’T MISS IT!” Well, obviously we are missing it. But this time we went farther then we had before, which seemed like we were going out of the metropolitan area. But of course, straight ahead of us was the Best Western. We got our one and only room and proceeded to find a parking spot for our huge Budget truck.
-We parked and then two local sheriffs or police officers started taking to Jeremy, because they were right there and I guess we were too. Finally into our room, we settled down and tried to get something to eat. We were starving of course, since our last meal was KCF at around 3 o’clock and now it was midnight. So, Jeremy called numerous pizza places and had no luck. Then he decided to just go out and get some milk, since we needed some in the morning anyway. He left and I got ready for bed and began putting all his receipts together. It wasn’t until 1 o’clock in the morning when he returned with the milk. His story was: I saw a gas station up the road and I didn’t want to try and get the truck out of the parking lot, so I just began to walk. I walked 10 blocks to the gas station to find out that it was one of those with just a little island teller in the middle and not a store. Walking another 10 blocks back I decided I needed to take the Budget truck. After getting that out of the parking lot I drove all the way back to the 7Eleven where we asked for directions. I got gas since I was there and went into get some milk when the store clerk was about to shut the door in my face. Returning I brought your milk and I’m going to bed.
-In the process of getting ready for bed Jeremy began taking his watch off, in doing so he broke the band. This just topped the evening off. And that completed our evening at around 1:30 am.

Sunday, July 14th, 2002



This was our final and last day. I got up early, showered, and began packing up my belongings. In the meanwhile, trying to get Jeremy out of bed. Once we were all loaded up we started heading toward the San Diego International Airport. It wasn’t a bad drive, just lots of traffic. My flight was at 12:30 so I had hoped to be at the airport by 10:30 and we were. Looking at my fight schedule paper since I didn’t receive my AAA tickets in time, the only airline name I noticed was United Express. So we found that terminal, parked, and waited in a very long line, only to have the desk attendant tell me I was in the wrong line and I needed to take a red bus to the regular United Airlines booth because my ticket also said Airbus, which meant my first flight wasn’t an Express. Finally getting to the correct terminal, the process went quite quickly, because I had an E-Ticket. I just put in one of my bankcards and up popped my flight, but then I didn’t have a seat listed. Finally, an attendant said just print out your ticket and see if it puts one on it, and it did. Now we were on our way to the security check in at around 11:15. I wanted Jeremy to wait in line with me, but it really wasn’t that long until he wasn’t going to be able to go any further. So, the time came when we had to say, good-bye. What a trip, and now we needed to part, for what seemed like and eternity. Crying, I kiss and hugged him, and we said our good-byes. I went through the gate and I was on my way back to Coudersport, while he was heading back to the Best Western for another nights stay. Waiting to board, I sat there alone trying to keep my tears from rolling down my face, but it was hard. So, I flew the 4 and a half hours to the Washington/Dulles Airport to make my connection flight on the United Express to Buffalo, NY. But there were problems and my plane was delayed. The plane failed inspection and it needed some C-belt put on. Eventually we boarded, took flight, and landed in Buffalo. There Sandy and Don picked me up and we headed home. Arriving home around 2 am., I quick jumped into bed and prepared for a long and tiring day at work the next morning.

What a trip……


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb