Sedona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
December 12th 2008
Published: December 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Montezuma's WellMontezuma's WellMontezuma's Well

One of the pueblos is built into the eastern side of the well. Entry would be gained by rope ladders.
The day Bev, Casey and I went to Sedona was cool and cloudy so I went back a couple of days after Bev and Casey left so that I could take some better pictures. We hadn’t had time to go to see Montezuma’s Well so since it was close to the campground I decided to go there first.
This Southern Sinagua settlement surrounds a well that is a limestone sink formed long ago by the collapse of an immense underground cavern. The farming tribe used the waters that run from the well through underground streams to irrigate their crops.
The Sedona area is known for the red rocks that create some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere. Over the years the city of Sedona has become a thriving community with a lot of retirees settling there. A lot of the rocks that surround the city have been named, some require a leap in imagination but others are easily identified. Red Rock Country is a haven for bikers, hikers and those who love to go back country tent camping. The National Forest Service manage the entire area and supply information about the hiking routes with regards to facilities, distance and difficulty.
The
Irrigation DitchIrrigation DitchIrrigation Ditch

The ditch carried 1.5 million gallons of water every day from the underground outlet to crops below. The majority of the ditch is still original (built between 1000 and 1400 AD.)
last day trip I took was to Jerome, Arizona. Jerome is a National Historic Landmark and was a roaring copper mining boom town of 15,000 people by 1918. Jerome is built on the side of a very steep hill above a vast deposit of copper. More than twenty nationalities made the mining camp a real mix which brought gamblers, bootleggers, saloon keepers, prostitutes and preachers to the camp as well as the miners, smelter workers, freighters and their families.
After the mines closed and “King Copper” left town the population went from a peak of 15000 in the 1920s to 50 persons by the late 50s. In the 60s and 70s various artists moved into the town, renovated homes and opened abandoned shops to sell their wares. Today’s Jerome caters to tourists that are attracted by the rich history as well as the cute little art galleries, antiques shops and stores that sell beautiful hand made silver and copper jewellery.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Bell RockBell Rock
Bell Rock

Easy to identify
Chapel in the RockChapel in the Rock
Chapel in the Rock

This beautiful Roman Catholic church is literally built into the rock. The views from outside are unbelievable but the serenity inside is awesome
MesaMesa
Mesa

A mesa is a steep sided hill. In this part of the Sonoran Desert the indians built their homes on the top of a mesa so that they had commanding view of the lower lying land.
Sonoran DesertSonoran Desert
Sonoran Desert

I took dozens of photos the day of my visit, all show the spectacular scenery. I can't put them all here but this is one of my favorites, with Mount Humphries in the distance.
Hairpin BendsHairpin Bends
Hairpin Bends

Jerome is built on Cleopatra Hill with each street one level above the other. A person has to navigate a half dozen hairpin bends when driving through the town
Sliding JailSliding Jail
Sliding Jail

By 1918 underground mining was abandoned and open pit mining for copper started. Dynamite blasts rattled the hills, the surface began to shift and buildings began to crack. Entire sections of the business district slid down hill. This jail slipped 225' feet. So glad I wasn't doing docent duties here!
Movie MuseumMovie Museum
Movie Museum

The old movie house has been renovated right down to the organ in the pit.
Flash BackFlash Back
Flash Back

It took me back years to see the posters of upcoming attractions on the walls of the stairs. Not that I was a patron when "Casablanca" was released!!
Post OfficePost Office
Post Office

Just look how beautiful our post offices used to be!
Surgeons HouseSurgeons House
Surgeons House

The house is now a Bed and Breakfast and has been beutifully maintained. The view is fantastic if you can overlook the junk opposite
JunkJunk
Junk

Bearing in mind that the majority of Jerome's inhabitants are artists -- and artists can be a bit eccentric I guess I should've expected someone's yard to look like this!
And....And....
And....

Someone's car to look like this!
Central HotelCentral Hotel
Central Hotel

Jerome's unofficial "Red Light" district.
In the distanceIn the distance
In the distance

This was taken from 6 miles away. You can just see Jerome nestled in the hills at about 5000'
Welcome signWelcome sign
Welcome sign

Clarkdale is the little town at the foot of the Jerome hillside. It is obvious how important copper was to the area by the sign. I'm sure it wouldn't still be there if it were solid....


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb