Canyonlands


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 31st 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Most of the group had arranged to hike down and back up the Grand Canyon. In my infinate wisdom I decided I wouldn't go because a) I would rather have root canal treatment than walk in 140 degree heat and b) it's not that interesting. The rangers were also advising people against it bacause of the heat. In my smug and relaxed pose it was like watching a military operation as everyone got ready the day before with a face of impending doom. Loaded down with power bars, salted nuts and as much water as they could carry Donna, Amy and me waved them off at 5am as the sun was rising...Donna and me then went for a full English breakfast......It was the best breakfast ever...knowing that we didn't have to hike the dreaded canyon.....believe me I will never regret doing that hike at all.
Donna and me decided that we would go to Monument Valley.....we took an hours scenic flight there and back.....it was awesome!!!! The plane flew back over the Grand Canyon and the views were spectacular!!!! The plane was only a 11 seater prop plane and on the way back turbulance was quite bad.....it was a bit of a white knuckle ride...I was hanging on for dear life and poor Donna was airsick....Still it was a really fab day...unforgettable!
The group was split on the return from the canyon hike...between those that did the hike and those that didn't. It didn't last that long!!!
In between the north and the south rim of the canyon we bush camped on the side of the road. The land turned out to be Navahoe reservation land which looked like a luna landscape straight out of a sci-fi movie. The guys were drinking beers as the local sheriff rocked up with his mirrored shades and promptly told us off for not having a camping permit and drinking on reservation land....punishable by jail. He poured away Chris's drink...I thought he was going to cry!!!
The Grand Canyon was so hot it was an effort to walk around....however it was nothing compared to Las Vegas.
Las Vegas is a mad mad place....I was there over 15 years ago and many of the hotels had not been built. Linda and me decided to stay at the Sahara..one of the oldest hotels on the strip....pictures of Elvis, Frank Sinatra and old movie stars adorn the walls from when they visited the place. Las Vegas is one of those places which is brash, tacky and in your face. If you fight it, you will hate every minute of it. If you accept it for what it is you are more likely to enjoy yourself. Vegas is also a bit like New Orleans in the fact it is acceptable to drink on the streets. People walk around with a yard long glass of Cocktail and drink it all day.
One evening we went to cirque du soleil 'O' at the Bellagio hotel...it was sooo cool, we were 3 rows from the front and built in the stage was a giant swimming pool. We also went to Fremont street, which has an arcade of 12000 plasma screens overhead...so cool.
Vegas does have it's share of nutters, most of them ride the 'Deuce' (a bus that goes up and down the strip). We saw some guy biting his hand, the fatest guy standing on his feet and some japanese nutter who was standing outside every Starbucks we went to mumbling to himself and punching the air!!!!
Amy left us in Las Vegas...so another one bites the dust and Andy has a two week break from the truck to see his son......the truck feels half empty......we now make our way into Mexico!



Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb