New York; The Final Chapter


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 23rd 2008
Published: May 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So here it is the final installment, the final few days of a trip of a lifetime! After arriving into la guardia airport and meeting a lovely New Yorkian on the plane who gave us an ideal itinery, we made our way to the hostel for one last time. The first few nights we were situated in the area of Chelsea, known for its Art galleries. On our first day despite the horrible weather we caught the bus down to lower Manhatten and Battery park. We had been told of an alternative trip out to see the statue of liberty, so unlike the hundreds of people who waited in a mile long queue in the rain, we nipped onto the FREE Staten island ferry, which ok doesn't stop at either the statue or Ellis island but you are able to still get some good pictures!! We spent the rest of the day, strolling around Wall Street, various points of interests and then went over to Ground Zero. Seeing the void the towers have left, was more upsetting than I had envisaged it being; hearing and seeing accounts of the day make it instantly become more real.
Our next couple of days saw us take in the delights of Greenwhich and East and West villages. These were some of my favourite areas. They have a complete bohemian feel to them, really quirky shops and we managed to come across two film sets!! The streets are exactly how I had imagined them, long steps up to the front door and the fire escapes making their way down the front of the buildings. We managed to see a lot just walking around the back streets; it included Washington Square park, Madison Gardens and the awesome Flatiron building. This building is at points only six foot wide and you'll probably have seen it on an Athena poster or two!!
For our last couple of days we moved out of backpackers land, trying to ease ourselves gently back into the land of normality and we've stayed in a lovely hotel in midtown. Which has been a lovely way to end our trip. A little bit of shopping in 5th Avenue and Times Square followed by a picnic in Central Park! Now all that's left to do is jump in our cab and make our way to JFK. Though before I do that just a couple of things I want to say. Firstly thank you to all of you I know have been following my blogs so closely; I have really enjoyed sharing it all with you. Secondly and quite simply; turn the bath on mum, I'm coming home!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb