Disneyland & Hawaii


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 29th 2005
Published: November 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Waikiki #1Waikiki #1Waikiki #1

Waikiki Beach, with Diamond Head in the background.
On to Disneyland! We arrived at our hotel which was across the road from the main entrance. The problem was the place was packed and the Californian part of the park was closing at 6pm on a Saturday for a special event!! So we managed to get one ride in. The main attraction was at Disneyland though with Fantasmic and the fireworks display, along with a ride on my favourite ride, Star Tours. Didn't want to put up with bag searches and worrying about where to stick my stuff while on a ride so unfortunately no photos.

On the Sunday, we went out to the Crystal Cathederal which is a church made entirely of glass. That was a nice service, but not as good as I thought it would be.

Monday, back to Disney where I lasted two rides before slipping on a wet path and hurting myself. Went and had a rest, back in the afternoon and managed to enjoy the rest of the day.

Tuesday we flew out to Hawaii. That was not a great day. We arrived at the American Airlines terminal with 5 bags after Qantas's advice we'd be able to check that on.
Waikiki #2Waikiki #2Waikiki #2

Sunset on Waikiki Beach.
They wouldn't let us and wanted US$80 for the extra bag! We bought it on as carry on which we weren't questioned about thankfully. We then went to the Admirals Club (AA version of Qantas Club) where they charged for practically everything. Then on to our plane for the 5½hr journey to Honoulu. Now AA is a pretty expensive airline, and we had a long flight, so you'd expect some food right? Wrong! $5 for a small turkey wrap sandwhich, $2 for most drinks and they even charged $2 for a headset to listen to inflight "entertainment"!! Needless to say we were glad when that was over.

The main purpose of Hawaii was to veg out, which we did successfully. On the one day of being active, we went to Pearl Harbour. That was great and I learnt quite a few things I didn't know about WW2.

The remainder of the time was spent determining the final outcome of the Holiday Canasta championship between Dad and myself. I am proud to say I won, with an astonishing 44 games to 7 over the 11 weeks. Dad was quite depressed at the result.

On the Saturday, we headed
Crystal CathederalCrystal CathederalCrystal Cathederal

A lovely place that we went for church on our last Sunday.
out to Honolulu Airport and hopped on the plane home. A long flight back, and with my Disneyland injuries, a not very comfortable one. But we made it to Sydney eventually, through Customs and onto our plane to Sydney. It took a very long taxi, which I joked was because of all the presents Dad had bought for Mum and the plane needed that extra long run-up.

We made it back home at just on 10pm on Sunday night, with a very happy welcoming party.

So overall, a great holiday! A week and a bit of rest before back to work...although only a month and a bit to Christmas! Woohoo!

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging emails from home. It was all very appreciated.

Shall see you all soon.

Matt.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Pearl Harbour #1Pearl Harbour #1
Pearl Harbour #1

The USS Arizona Monument. Elvis Presley was the champion of making this place a national memorial. Long live the King!
Pearl Harbour #2Pearl Harbour #2
Pearl Harbour #2

One of the main gun positions from the USS Arizona.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb