America in a \


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
November 9th 2004
Published: November 9th 2004
Edit Blog Post

The flight into Boston now seems like a very distant memory away, a different time and a different me. It was only 2 months ago but what has happened between now and then seems like a year. Nine states and 12 cities and one Grand Canyon all in seven weeks.

Started of in Boston on the 9th of September for a few days. The feel of Boston is really relaxed and very friendly a really good city to walk around and not really need the public transport. Lots of good walking and some really good bars. The HI Hostel was an excellent place to start of the trip on my own and in no time had met a good group of people.

I travelled onto Martha's Vineyard after this which was very pretty and actually did the whole island in one day. Buses are excellent and they stop anywhere you want. Excellent Ginger Bread houses, extremley picturesques.

Straight from the quiet and relaxed to the buzzing energy of NY NY. I love this city, so much to do and never enough time to do it. I have been there twice and there is still more that I want to see. Brooklyn Bridge was a must and Staten Island Ferry, both free and excellent shots and view from the both. Empire State goes without question and I could go on but I wont.

Washington DC was my next stop and this is all I am going to say about it.... Excellent Monuments not a good city. Does Bush actually look round his own Capitol City?

Chicago and then to Memphis, the home of the King. Graceland was brilliant, a must if anyone goes. Spent a few nights in the bars listening to all the excellent live music and also went to Al Greens Church to see a Gospal Service on a Sunday morning. Excellent.

New Orleans, raining but excellent people at the hostel.

San Antonio Texas was one such a nice relaxed city and the river walk was just gorgeous. Stayed in the Bullis Inn which is supposed to be haunted, but nothing to be scared about. The weather here was amazing and the hotel had a pool. Lots of good friendly bars and people and they love the English.

Austin Texas. One of my favourite places. The hostel is right by the river and spent three days exploring on bikes and Kayaks. The Barton Springs were gorgeous and on a hot day really refreshing. Got to see the Bats fly out of Congress Bridge at sunset.

Viva Las Vegas, money money money. Stayed in a hotel called Circus Circus. Went on some rollercoasters and did a bit of gambling and this was where we booked a car to go to the Grand Canyon. Such an amazing place, took mine and Lorna's breathaway and to be honest it was probably the only time something made us shut up for more than half an hour. Got there as the sun was coming down and the colours were just out of this world. There was even snow on the floor. Just stunning, cant put it into words.

San Francisco was excellent. The Green Tortoise hostel is a must. Excellent free food 3 nights a week and excellent activities and free beer. Alcatraz was brilliant if not a little bit eerie and the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset was stunning. The whole city has an amazing vibe to it.

My final destination before Fiji. LA Hermosa Beach. Someone recommended this hostel to us and Im glad that we did head this far down as it was a lot of fun. The hostel was right on the beach with a strip of bars below the hostel, could be a bit noisy but no one really sleeps here. The Beach was beautiful and on my last day the weather was really nice to actually get out and do a spot of sun bathing.

Thats it for America my next installment is Fiji........

Advertisement



Tot: 1.401s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb