USA 2006


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 24th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

In June 2006 we flew to Denver, Colorado; travelling onto Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah. A real adventure.
In Nebraska we visited Carhenge and stayed in the "Olde Main Street inn" where Anita Roddick stays when she visits. In South Dakota we drove to Wounded Knee village and museum; visited Rapid City and then onto Keystone to see Mount Rushmore. The Crazy Horse Memorial which is much larger than the "faces" is not finished but a scale model in the museum shows how it will eventually look. We drove to Deadwood via Hill city and ate a delicious huge steak in Gem's Saloon then visited No.10 Saloon where Wild Bill Hickok was shot. Next day we walked all around Devils Tower and then on to Montana. Visited the Little Bighorn Battlefield and museum then drove south thro the Bighorn Mountains to Cody in Wyoming. The amazing Yellowstone Park was next, we had a couple of days there and we were lucky enough to see a grey wolf, there are only about 100 in the whole park. The next day we saw a black bear and I showed one of the rangers my picture of the grey wolf as she said she had never seen one. We saw Old Faithful erupt and then on to Grand Teton NP the scenery is spectacular with the snow topped Rocky Mountains always on the horizon. Drove to Idaho Falls and then into Utah. We visited Antelope Island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake and the next day went to Arches NP, the red rock and natural arches are really spectacular. On to Aspen and over Independence Pass; 12,075ft, lots of snow and driving was very scary with a shear drop on one side. Visited Old Colorado City and Colorado Springs and then Garden of the Gods NP which is similar to Arches NP but not as interesting. Drove thro Denver to Cheyenne and then back to Colorado. Went to Loveland and then Estes Park which was lovely with huge Elk grazing in the middle of the town.



From "USA 2006"


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb