The Best Beaches On Cape Ann


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 24th 2020
Published: February 24th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Without question, one of the most beautiful places to travel in the United States is New England.

The majesty of the northeast is on display year-round. Whether hitting the slopes in Maine and Vermont or leaf peeping in New Hampshire, there is always something to do in every season. And, the best season, of course, is Summer.

In New England, when the Summer hits, many locals pack up their cars, trucks and SUVs with their beach gear and head for that Summer mecca known as Cape Cod. Sure, the Cape has some incredible Summer spots from West Dennis to Provincetown, Truro to Orleans there are some fantastic beaches to spend those lazy Summer days.

But, insider tip, the forgotten Summer destination in Massachusetts is just a couple of hours north of Cape Cod on Cape Ann!

The Insiders Know Cape Ann Trumps Cape Cod



Cape Ann consists of the quaint seaside towns of Rockport, Gloucester, Manchester By The Sea, Essex, and Ipswich. It’s an incredible landscape that differs greatly from Cape Cod. The shores are rocky and impressive with beautiful beaches throughout.

Being on the north shore and Cape Ann also provides you access to the up and coming town of Beverly and the beautiful Cabot Theater as well as the home of Halloween in Salem!

One of the benefits of traveling to Cape Ann is it is much more convenient than Cape Cod. Many locations on the Cape are 70+ miles from Boston, not to mention Provincetown – over 100 miles away. And, the traffic getting to Cape Cod is atrocious.

Inconveniences aside, Cape Ann is home to some incredible art colonies in Rocky Neck and Rockport, Museums, iconic seafood restaurants, old fishing ports, and of course some world class beaches. In fact, Cape Ann is home to some of the best beaches in the state. Let’s take a closer look.

The Down and Dirty on Wingaersheek Beach



We love Singing Beach in Manchester, Crane Beach in Ipswich, Long Beach in Rockport, and Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester. But one of our favorite beaches on Cape Ann is surely Wingaersheek Beach.

Wingaersheek Beach is located right on Ipshwich Bay and the Annisquam River providing the area with protection. It’s similar to the beaches protected on Cape Cod Bay.

Wingaersheek is known for its pristine flour-like white sands, sand bars that form when the low tides head out. The tides actually draw out about a half mile at low tide providing an impressive ½ mile sand bar to walk down. Kids and adults alike love to go and explore the sand bars.

In addition to the sand bars the there are some beautiful climbing rocks on the beach that are perfect for exploring. The tide pools often contain hermit crabs, crabs, sand dollars and other wild life. Wingaersheek is also a popular location for boaters to weigh anchor and even raft up in the Summer.

If you’re thinking about a Summer getaway, we would definitely encourage you to consider Cape Ann. And while you’re there stop by Wingaersheek Beach, it’s one of the best beaches on Cape Ann.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.534s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb