Hot air balloon trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 1st 2019
Published: August 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

We have been anticipating this short trip since last Xmas when I made reservations for a balloon ride. We were to go up on June 22nd for a glorious view of Mt. Ranier in the sunset. A storm rolled in that day and we got a text telling us the trip had been cancelled. We remade the reservations for a couple of weeks later, drove the hour to Auburn. We hung out in the parking lot of a seedy casino until the ride to the launch site was ready and we were taken to the launch site. The captain was a cheerful, gregarious soul who assured us that we would have a great time. The launch site was in the back yard of a suburban tract on the edge of farmland. We had a beautiful view of the mountains across fields of waving grass. Swallows swooped and dived as the crew tipped the balloon's basket off the trailer and started puling the colorful Balloon envelope across the lawn. As they did a wind came up. The captain said that we would wait 15 minutes to see if it would calm down. It didn't and he scrubbed the flight. The crew put out the champagne that we were to have had on the flight and we were invited to reschedule our flight. The dawn flight was recommended for more reliably calm conditions. So, this Saturday, August 3rd, we will make our 3rd try. This time we wake up at 'oh god thirty' to make the dawn flight with a view of Mt Rainier in the sunrise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb