USA Road Trip: Week 8 (Part 2)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 1st 2019
Published: August 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

We started heading north from Florida, and catching up with some old friends and relatives in Georgia and the Carolinas.

“Rife with elegant townhouses, antebellum mansions, green public squares, pristine freshwater marshes and mammoth oak trees bedecked in moss, Savannah is a beautiful and culturally rich city (Lonely Planet, Georgia and the Carolinas, 2019, p. 91). We started running into downpours in Savannah (not the Seattle drizzle we’re used to). Since it was raining so hard, we didn’t see much of Savannah, but saw that there were 22 park squares. A local said there were so many squares here because this was a planned city (established in 1733), and the squares and wide streets helped with militia training exercises. From what we could see between the downpours, the city looked very charming and we really liked Savannah, but because of the rain, we don’t have any good pictures of it.

There were more antebellum houses in Beaufort, South Carolina and huge oak trees, some of which were as old as 200 years. Spanish moss was hanging from the tree branches. Halfway into our drive around the city, the rain started coming down so hard we couldn’t see anything.

“The zenith of old-world charm, Charleston whisks you into the nation’s tumultuous past and nourishes your mind, heart and stomach in roughly equal measure. This lively city will embrace you with the warmth and hospitality of an old and dear friend - who lived in the 18th century.” “Whether you’re bouncing around in a horse-drawn carriage, poking around a palatial historic home or peering through a wrought-iron gate at a flourishing garden, you’ll understand that the storybook Southern charm of the peninsula’s southeastern tip cannot be exaggerated” (LP, p. 167).

My dad’s from Raleigh (North Carolina); his five brothers and sisters remained around Raleigh, so I still have several aunts and cousins in the area. There’s an old section of town called Oakwood, where a lot of the old Victorian, Queen Anne and Craftsman houses have been fixed up. Lots of porches to sit on outside and while away the evening, drinking some sweet tea, listening to the crickets.

We also went to the ocean at Atlantic Beach, where I spent some time as a kid. The water was too rough to go in, though, so it was a quick trip back to Raleigh.

Mileage driven after this blog, from Seattle: 10,171 miles, or 17,977 km.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd August 2019
Raleigh

porch
I want a house with a porch like this .. not the house .. just a dream .. aint moving anywhere .. the house is paid .. done. nice pix
4th August 2019
Raleigh

The whole neighborhood was full of houses and porches like this - gorgeous!!
4th August 2019
Raleigh

The whole neighborhood was full of houses and porches like this - gorgeous!!

Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb