Looking in the Rearview Mirror


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 22nd 2019
Published: May 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

20190520_15065620190520_15065620190520_150656

giant Georgia peach
Day 8 Blog – May 20, 2019 – Atmore, AL to Lenoir, NC (Scarlett to Hickory, NC) – 533 miles Total for the trip 2726



Our plan was to be on the road by 7:30 at the latest this morning, but being on Central Time and the hotel breakfast not open until 6:30 (our 7:30), that posed a problem. However, like an oiled machine, we had our system down so well, we just pre-planned, packed the van before breakfast, and still were on the road before 7:00 (our 8:00). We patted ourselves on the back.

Fog hung all in the air as Susan drove the boring, interstate drive that she knew all so well from multiple trips from Mobile. We were stuck on the green channel again and it didn’t help that Pam was typing on the blog and Claire was in the back working on the computer. Susan was bored to tears!!!

The highlights of that stretch were stopping to get gas, Pam reading out the finished blog, and beginning to think back to our travels in Florida. After a quick pit stop before Susan tackled the heavy traffic coming into Atlanta, we decided to do a review of the state of Florida (from our trip). Here it is:

Pros:

· Beaches – The best beaches were Clearwater, Naples, and Destin for their white sands and/or calm atmosphere. Oh, and we liked Daytona for the simple fact that you could drive on it!

· Bridges – If you like to drive on bridges, they are everywhere around the coast. Just do the perimeter tour of Florida like us and you’ll enjoy beauties like the 7-mile bridge in the Keys and the 5-mile bridge to St. George Island.

· Everglades – The Tamiami Trail is a nice way to see this unique environment right next to your vehicle.

· Beautiful Water – Around the Keys and on the Gulf coast, the colors of brilliant blues & greens were striking with a real tropical feel. In addition, the gentle waves were family friendly.

Cons:

· Florida is not very tourist-friendly, although its biggest industry is supposedly tourism, and their welcome centers even close at 5:00pm!

· Everywhere you go, you get nickel and dimed to death - toll roads (the most of any state), to get on islands, to park most anywhere, to do anything (no matter how small). Admission prices were steep. It made us sad to think that money would keep so many people from being able to afford to enjoy doing something as simple as going to the beach.

· Can’t see the beaches from most of the beach roads (especially on the Atlantic side)

· LOVE BUGS!!! (the state knows they’re a major problem 4 months/yr – they need a solution – they certainly don’t advertise that!)

· Angry Florida drivers who like to blow their horns at anything (even each other)

· No helmet laws for motorcyclists

· Personal Injury Lawyer billboards everywhere you turn – it doesn’t look good for your state



Overall, we wouldn’t trade our adventures to Florida for anything; sister time and laughter were great medicine for our souls. And, we’ll sure miss our Scarlett. Stay tuned for our next adventure coming up in a few short weeks.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb