Top 5 Mountain Regions in the World


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
March 1st 2018
Published: March 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

If you’re an avid hiker or mountain climber, you likely have a bucket list of places that you want to conquer in this lifetime. There are just certain mountains that come to mind when having this discussion. Here are some of the greatest climbing destinations from across the globe.

1. The Andes

The Andes Mountains in Peru are home to the Inca Trail, providing climbers with a unique experience through a variety of landscapes and ecosystems all along the way. While climbing the Andes, you’ll see tropical forests, deserts, plains, and snow-capped mountains. Nowhere else in the world can you experience so many diverse landscapes in one place. The summit of the Andes is Machu Picchu, one of the world’s most infamous destinations for hikers. The lost city of Inca was discovered in 1911. The end of your trip will mark your arrival at Cusco.

2. Mount Everest

Another of the world’s most infamous peaks, Mount Everest rises an impressive 29,000 feet above sea level. Mount Everest is part of the Himalayan mountain chain and for many people, reaching the summit is a life goal. It is the highest mountain in the world. If you’re looking to add an Everest climb to your bucket list, use the South Col route. This is proven as the most successful path up Everest, where over 2,000 brave souls have journeyed to the top. Mount Everest is part of the Himalayan mountain chain

3. Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro is perhaps one of the most well-known mountains in the world. Located in Tanzania Africa, this flat-top mountain borders Kenya and offers visitors the unique experience of witnessing three separate volcanoes - Shira, Kibo, and Mawenzi. Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro means reaching the summits highest point of Uhuru, which is over 19,000 feet high. Climbers can experience wildlife, and several stops along the way, including the Grand Barranco Canyon and the Shira Plateau.

4. Denali

If you live in the United States and are looking for a closer climbing adventure, Denali Alaska might be right for you. Denali is home to the highest mountain in North America - Mount McKinley, which stands over 20,000 feet high. McKinley holds the world for elevation, with a rise of 18,000 feet from top to bottom. Just as the Inca Trail offers unmatched landscapes, Denali is the place to go if you want unmatched views. Climbers from around the world venture to Alaska to take in the breathtaking scenery. Climbers must be wary of avalanches, which are less likely during the months of May and June.

5. The Matterhorn

The Swiss Alps are another infamous mountain region straddles the beautiful countries of Switzerland and Italy. If you’re a climber visiting Europe, you’ll likely venture to the Matterhorn, known for its unique shape. This mountain is an African rock pyramid with a peak defined as a geographical landmark. If you’re interested in mountaineering history, the Matterhorn represents the birthplace of the sport. But the ascend is treacherous. So much so that Swiss officials have tried limiting camping options in an attempt to deter climbers.

Do Your Research

Before attempting to climb any of this historic mountain ranges, it's important to do your research. Not only about the mountain, the weather conditions, and other safety tips, but also about how challenging the climb is. Be honest with yourself and your skill set. Some of these mountains, though beautiful, are extremely dangerous. Always travel with educated, skilled climbers and be prepared for changes in weather and climbing conditions. The sport of mountaineering is not for the faint of heart. The risk is great, but so is the reward of reaching the peak and the experiencing the picturesque views along the way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.595s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb