Jackson Hole


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
August 20th 2016
Published: August 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Jackson LakeJackson LakeJackson Lake

Signal Mt. Lodge is on Jackson Lake. This is our view.
32 degrees when Bill went to get my coffee this morning. It was a day for wearing layers as it warmed up to 75 with gorgeous sunshine this afternoon. We had breakfast at the grill in our lodge then walked down to the marina and Jackson Lake shore. We started our tour shortly before noon. Our first site was the Jackson Lake Dam across the Snake River. Next we stopped at Oxbow Bend Turnout, a wetlands wildlife area. Bill, Tim, & Carolyn spotted 2 white trumpeter swans while I took a hike down to the water's edge. The buffalo & pronghorn were a bit closer as we passed the Elk Ranch Flats. At Cunningham cabin site we learned that J.D. Rockefeller donated 33,000 acres to start Grand Teton Recreation Area. Schwabacher Rd was another gravel road tour (seems our daily travels are not complete without at least one gravel road excursion). We observed some pretty sturdy beaver dams and I hiked a trail along the water's edge to a most serene setting where an artist was painting. I hope I have a photo to frame! Our next stop was the Federal Fish Hatchery at the National Elk Refuge. Snake River Cut-Throat Trout were raised from eggs to 16 months of age before shipping. The tour was interesting.

Finally made it to the historic district of Jackson Hole where we walked around the square and did a lot of shopping, but very little buying. Found a quiet outdoor bar, Smoked Iron, for an afternoon snack before we headed to Teton Village Recreation Area. It was pretty neat to ride the Bridger Gondola up 8,730 feet to an elevation of 9,095 feet & overlook some of the ski slopes as well as Jackson Hole Golf Course. Besides skiing in winter, activities now include The Tower where visitors can jump 30-60' off the ground, the Aerial Ropes course, the Bungee, the Wall, and Bike Park. In addition there are hiking trails all around.

Another great day & we were ready to head back to sit on our porch & enjoy the sunset before going to dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Serene reflectionSerene reflection
Serene reflection

This is where I saw the artist painting.
Bridger GondolaBridger Gondola
Bridger Gondola

Jackson Hole ski area
Elevation 9,095 feetElevation 9,095 feet
Elevation 9,095 feet

Signs pointing to different ski runs. Below is Jackson Hole Golf Course.


24th August 2016

Framer
You definitely got a framable picture. Beautiful.

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb