Wyoming for the big 50


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
June 8th 2021
Published: June 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

June 8, 2021

Well, more adventures! This time with ALL our immediate family in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone as our big 50 adventure. Our flights on Monday from Cleveland were uneventful, and Heather and Dario drive in from Oakland over 2 days, experiencing wonderful weather and beautiful views.

Our place is amazing. 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, a huge kitchen and a table that’s about 6’x6’ to hold us all at one time. It’s a townhouse but so spacious, and sits next to a little pond, sheltered by many medium sized aspens. As I type, Heather is chopping chopping chopping veggies and salads for tomorrow. Tonight is steak done in the sou vide.

But back to the adventures. Yesterday we drove south from the airport to Jackson itself and wandered around a bit. Quite touristy but interesting western décor and shops. The sidewalks were elevated and wooden. Then we drove about 45 mins (slow traffic) to Victor Idaho and our first AirBnB. We are about 6200' elevation. Victor may be a one-horse town – except we’ve not seen a horse yet in town – with only a few stoplights, but it had a wonderful restaurant, the Knotty Pine. Not big inside (we don’t think) but everyone was sitting outside in a garden, everyone under a tree for shade. Lovely and relaxing and very very tasty. From fish and chips and hamburgers to rainbow trout and brisket & ribs.

And then today – exhausting and so much fun – whitewater rafting. We had a relaxing morning (a bit of birding ? - magpies and possibly a female lazuli bunting) as we weren’t due into town till 10:45 to rent our wetsuits. Now that was fun! As Covid restrictions are lifting, we found ourselves in a big school bus, all going on 2 8-person rafts or on the 16-person. We were our 8, and 2 families of 4, whose children were younger than Andrew. That was reassuring!!! Maybe our boat would not be flipped for the heck of it.

You’ll just have to see the photos to see how much fun it was. Check out the movies too.

In between rapidy bits, we were drifting, and the guide said anyone could jump in if they wanted. Megan was first out!!!! Andrew did too, but he found the water a bit chilly – mid 40s – even in the wetsuit. Then at another spot, Megan, Mike and Dario! We spotted 2 Bald Eagles! A common merganser pair. Saw evidence of beaver but no other animals.

We are all striving to find that first wild animal – papa is offering rewards!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.602s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.2015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb