Yellowstone


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In 1872, President U. S. Grant signed a bill designating Yellowstone the world’s first national park. At over 2.2 million acres, it is larger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined. Although the park has some beautiful mountains, rivers, lakes and waterfalls (over 100 of them), it is most notable for its thermal features. About 600,000 years ago an enormous volcanic eruption created a 1,300 square mile caldera (crater), one of the world’s largest. By comparison, the one created by the Mount St. Helens eruption was only a couple of square miles. Much of the hole was eventually filled with lava, and the caldera is barely visible today, but the earth’s crust, which is normally 20-30 miles thick, is only 2 miles thick here. This makes for a lot of thermal activity. Yellowstone has over 75% of the world’s active geysers, including Steamboat Geyser, the world’s largest, which spews scalding water 350 to 400 feet into the air. Unfortunately, its eruption interval varies from 5 days to 50 years, and the last one was in 1991. We decided not to wait around for the next eruption, but went to see Old Faithful instead.
Yellowstone isn’t a place you can see in a day. Over the four days we were there, we drove over 200 miles in the park and only saw a fraction of what it has to offer. It's a unique place and is well worth seeing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Where the Buffalo Roam in the RoadWhere the Buffalo Roam in the Road
Where the Buffalo Roam in the Road

These guys didn't seem much interested in us.
Lake YellowstoneLake Yellowstone
Lake Yellowstone

The largest natural lake in the world at this elevation (7,000 + feet).
Quake LakeQuake Lake
Quake Lake

In 1959, a 7.5 earthquake brought a huge section of this mountain down on a campground, killing 33 people, damming up the Madison river, and creating a 6 mile long lake. It's an awesome sight.
Lower Falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone RiverLower Falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River
Lower Falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River

At 306 feet, this is the tallest waterfall in the park.
Mother  Elk with YoungMother  Elk with Young
Mother Elk with Young

Note the transmitter collar on Mama.
Mammoth Hot SpringsMammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs

Limestone deposits from geysers have formed these terraces. Looks like something from another world.
These Elk Found Shade from the Midday SunThese Elk Found Shade from the Midday Sun
These Elk Found Shade from the Midday Sun

This was in the employee residence area of the park.
Big DaddyBig Daddy
Big Daddy

This is one big elk.
Roosevelt ArchRoosevelt Arch
Roosevelt Arch

Landmark arch at the north entrance to the park, the only one open in the winter. That's Gardiner, Montana beyond the arch.


Tot: 0.375s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 92; dbt: 0.263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb