Bisons, Geysers, Waterfalls


Advertisement
Published: December 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent most of the day driving through Wyoming, from the Keyhole state park in the east to Yellowstone in the west. There wasn't much stuff to see, but I enjoyed the drive. I never realized nothingness can be so beautiful. It was quiet and peaceful. One can see miles and miles of wild land, framed by mountains at the horizon. As we got closer to the Yellowstone though, the landscape changed and we found ourself driving up and down curvy mountain roads admiring beautiful rock formations. It was my first time in the Rockies! The rocks surely were impressive.

We arrived at Yellowstone around 4:30 pm and got a camp site at the Bridge Bay campground. It was crowded and the camp sites were set up very close to each other, but I was relieved to be able to find a place easily without reservations. It was peak season after all.

After setting up the tent, we went exploring the park. We went northeast and drove along the Yellowstone river. It was around 6pm and the bisons were on the move, causing traffic jams on the two-lane road in the park. We stopped to see some thermal features, which were interesting but surprisingly stunk of rotten eggs. The scenery along the river was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It was summertime and the water was low. The river valley was covered with many shades of green and hundreds of bisons.

We went on a short but steep hike down to the rim of the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone river. It was a thrilling experience to see and hear the water dropped a few hundred feet down into the valley below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Yellowstone River Valley Yellowstone River Valley
Yellowstone River Valley

Seen from the Lower Fall
A bisonA bison
A bison

near thermal features in Yellowstone


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb