Day 4 - Yellowstone National Park


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

LeHardy RapidsLeHardy RapidsLeHardy Rapids

Patty and Karen at the LeHardy Rapids in the Yellowstone River, Yellowstone NP
After a quick breakfast we headed out to begin exploring the nation’s first national park. What a beauty! I have told some I was ready to quit my job and become a park ranger on my first visit 10 years ago. Its beauty hasn’t changed one bit. We followed the Yellowstone River past the rapids and through rolling hillside pastures filled with American bison. The countryside changes as elevation changes to thick pine forests filled with the Lodgepole Pines, characteristic of Yellowstone.

The Yellowstone River exits the lake and over the centuries has carved the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Several rim viewing spots treat the viewer to sights of huge waterfalls cascading over the varying levels of the canyon floor. While enjoying a picnic lunch on the trunk of a fallen tree we drank in the grandeur of the park.

Our travels continued on to Norris Geyser Basin where we viewed numerous geysers, fumaroles, mud pots and steaming hot spring pools in the Porcelain Basin. Patty and Bill did the 1.5 mile trail around the basin where they witnessed a young boy doing what the signs ALL over the park tell you not to do - leave the trail.
Mud VolcanoMud VolcanoMud Volcano

Mud Volcano, now a mud pot but at one time a cone geyser, Yellowstone NP
He immersed his foot in the run-off of one of the pools and found out very quickly that it is past the boiling point, just like the sign said!

A fast approaching storm ended our time at the basin so we pushed on to Old Faithful where we figured we could watch the eruption from the cover of the lodge if the storm continued. Thankfully it abated and left a beautiful sky providing contrast for the photo op. We arrived just as the prior eruption ended so we had to wait almost two hours for the next eruption. A cup of coffee and a visit through the gift shops helped pass time until we were able to witness a beautiful display of nature’s wonders. Old Faithful and two nearby geysers erupted simultaneously - quite a treat!

Growling stomachs forced us to make the 50 mile drive back to the campground for the night. Enjoy the pictures! -Karen



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DragonDragon
Dragon

Dragon's Mouth Spring, a spring of boiling water that roars as a dragon might. The sound is created by the action of the waves hitting the cavern interior.
BisonBison
Bison

Momma and baby American bison in the Hayden Valley, Yellowstone NP.
Grand Canyon of YellowstoneGrand Canyon of Yellowstone
Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

The lower falls of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone from the vantage of Artist Point, Yellowstone NP
ChipmunkChipmunk
Chipmunk

Patty's chipmunk on thr trail to Artist Point
OFOF
OF

Old Faithful and two nearby geysers erupting simultaneously, Yellowstone NP
BuckBuck
Buck

A young buck elk after crossing the road at West Thumb Junction, Yellowstone NP


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb