Gardiner, Montana to Jackson, Wyoming


Advertisement
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

YellowstoneYellowstoneYellowstone

Tower Falls
This is probably the most scenic part of Yellowstone. We stopped at Tower Junction and Tower Falls. Onward to Canyon Village Visitor Centre and Inspiration Point via Dunraven Pass, where there are hordes of people with huge telephoto lenses and binoculars. This is a good start to the Yellowstone Grand Canyon. We got a good photo of an eagle and its chick on top a rock pinnacle. It was very crowded at the car parks but was much quieter if walking just a few yards on the numerous tracks provided. It’s very picturesque, including the Lower and Upper Falls. Then it’s Sulphur Cauldron, which you wouldn’t want to fall into!

We move south to the West Thumb Geyser Basin and some interesting geysers and pools. Before arriving we come across quite a few herds of Buffalo but in particular, a small herd rolling about in the dust, having a great time. At West Thumb some deer have strayed into the inner fenced area, completely ignoring the signs not to go there! Have they got no sense - people yes but deer?

We move on to Jackson. The scenery of South Yellowstone not particularly special from the road until we
YellowstoneYellowstoneYellowstone

Tower Falls
get to Grand Teton National Park where - wow! We stay at the Wagon Wheel Village and get an end terraced log cabin. Seems great! We go out for a meal next door and walk around then heads down, well no! A family next door arrive and we could every discussion, no, argument! Then the shower pump starts. My god what a racket - it’s a if the whole building is going to collapse!! We suffer this for the next three nights, the longest and worst spell in any h/motel. Trust us. This is the only bad motel experience we’ve had in nearly four weeks. Are there no inspectors trying these places out? Do they not try out these rooms themselves? Staff nice, place awful!

Apart from motel noise disturbance, our stay in the Grand Tetons is excellent, fantastic scenery, good walks and trips, not too many people and very relaxing. To be honest it was a lot better that Yellowstone, where if you stoop to pick up a twig, you’re suddenly surrounded by swarms of visitors thinking you’ve found something they’ve missed!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

YellowstoneYellowstone
Yellowstone

Buffalo Dust Bath
YellowstoneYellowstone
Yellowstone

Buffalo Dust Bath


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb