Cody, Wyoming to West Yellowstone, Idaho


Advertisement
Published: December 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cody to west Yellowstone


It’s a pity that we can’t sample more of Cody. Never even got to Buffalo Bill's Museum, which said to be awesome or even a rodeo! We can’t do everything on our tour.

The weather is great as we head west on US 14 and quickly stop at Buffalo Bill Reservoir and Dam. It’s amazing how one small strategically-placed dam can hold back so much water, generating electric in the process. The chap ferrying us from car park to dam is very informative and helpful. There are lots of campgrounds around but the scenery is a little bland until we near Yellowstone NP, stopping at a spot on the Shoshone River with interesting ‘Holy City’ rock formations.

We go through Yellowstone’s East Entrance and quickly into major road improvements. It’s bit of a drag! Never mind, as soon as we reach Yellowstone Lake, we’ve videoed a Bald Eagle and a Yellowstone Pelican. There a small geysers steaming at the lake edge and buffalos further on. It’s rather manic at the Fishing Bridge Visitor Centre - and it’s not even peak holiday time!

We quickly note that every time we stop at a quiet secluded spot, loads of cars and RVs descend, whole families jumping out to spoil our party. They assume we must have found something interesting and want part of it! Give us a break will you, there’s nothing here? This happens all the way around Yellowstone for three days and it gets a little wearing.

There might have been thousands of visitors at Old faithful Geyser but it’s a brilliant spectacle. Sure enough, on time, thaar she blows! A walk around Upper, Lower and Midway Geyser Basins is fascinating, particularly Sapphire Geyser and the huge Grand Prismatic Pool, the latter’s clouds steaming up David’s spectacles. Mind you more Numpties are evident by their footprints on the sensitive ground next to signs suggesting they don’t do it. You meet them everywhere!

Onward to West Yellowstone where we get a good room at the City Center Motel. A good meal at the Chinese Restaurant a short distance away finishes off the night well.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb