From Elkhart to Elk


Advertisement
Published: September 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Will Erwin's FarmWill Erwin's FarmWill Erwin's Farm

Will is our neighbor in Florida. It was a treat to visit his Indiana farm where he spends the summer.
Two weeks in the Florida heat and humidity found us back in a plane headed north. Ron put together a 3 week fly/drive trip north and west. We flew to Indiana to see family and friends in Muncie, Bourbon, and Elkhart. Then, we drove west as far as Yellowstone National Park. Our big loop west included numerous stops along the way to see Americana, scenic parks, and wild animals. Best of all, when we returned to Indiana we didn't have to drive to Florida. Our flight was there to ferry us home.

I have LOTS of photos, so I'll just let them tell the story.

Since we returned it's been really rainy. We are totally ready for the beautiful October weather. Then, in November we're off to Tucson to see friends, hike, and hang out with the Wildcats.

Still travelin',

RPM

PS - The panorama banner, at the top of this blog, will cycle through 5 photos, if you wait long enough to see them.



A short video of the boiling mud pots.



The sights and sounds of a steam vent.


Additional photos below
Photos: 139, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

At Will'sAt Will's
At Will's

The house was built in 1879 and is on the National Register of Historic sites.
One of the many pondsOne of the many ponds
One of the many ponds

Will has built most of the ponds on his 2000 acres of land.
Shooting hoopsShooting hoops
Shooting hoops

It's an Indiana thing!
The Corn Palace - Mitchell, South DakotaThe Corn Palace - Mitchell, South Dakota
The Corn Palace - Mitchell, South Dakota

The building is covered in corn!
Jackalope at Wall DrugJackalope at Wall Drug
Jackalope at Wall Drug

Yes, we had to stop.
Crazy Horse MemorialCrazy Horse Memorial
Crazy Horse Memorial

Started in 1947 and still under construction. When completed it will be the world's largest sculpture.
Chief Crazy Horse's headChief Crazy Horse's head
Chief Crazy Horse's head

The head of his horse is the portion currently under construction. The white outline indicates the horse's head.
Model of the completed statueModel of the completed statue
Model of the completed statue

The unfinished statue is in the background.


28th September 2013

Love Yellowstone!
Thanks for sharing the wonders of Yellowstone. I would go back in a heartbeat, dispite the ever - increasing likelihood the place will blow sky high one of these days. I arrived at the park one year with my brother and my cousin on June 1st in six inches of fresh snow. We stayed in a cabin, and fought about who had to get up at 4AM each morning to relight the fire in the wood stove.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb