Hot Springs Wyoming


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Thermopolis
June 23rd 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Thermopolis, Wyoming. The campgroung we are at has a 3 sectioned pool area with different temps. The pool is fed off a natural mineral hot spring. The temps range from 99 to 106, 106 to 118, and then up to 136 degrees. It was nice floating in a pool that never cools down.

Arches National Park was fantastic. The stone formations play on your imagination. We saw elephants and diansaurs. Some of the formations look like they will fall off at any moment. We also saw a couple desert creatures and the plants are interesting. The arches are also amazing. We listened to a park ranger explain how they are formed. I believe her whe she says we are here at the right point in time. To the arches, it is a blink; to us it is a lifetime before we see change. The area has a salt layer which allows the rock 'fins' to emerge. The rain soaks in only so far and the freezing and wind will carve out the hole. We did not walk to some of the farther ones-not in shape to do that. But we saw enough to appreciate and wonder about those who saw them years ago.

We traveled to Needles Point. It is a point between the Island in the Sky and the Needles section of Canyonlands. It was pretty hazy in the valleys, either because of the heat or the fires buring in the south. The height was dizzying and it was too bad we didn't see more clearly. It was worth the drive.

The trip to the Hot Springs was interesting. We went from dry and emaciated land to the over abundance of water as we crossed through the Green River Basin over the Wind River Range (another name that means the same as the area), between theOwl Creek Mountains and Bridger Mountains down through the canyon to Thermopolis. We saw snow caps to our northwest (and I think a snow storm of some sort). We crossed two suspension bridges and through 3 tunnels. We saw several historical markers about the Oregon Trail. We thought traveling with RV and car in tow was tough. Can't imagine covered wagons...The clouds were very dark around us and the wind was a bit wicked too. But we arrived to sunshine and cool, dry temps.

We plan to head to Devil's Tower tomorrow and then a two day trek home. Hope you enjoy the picks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

FaunaFauna
Fauna

Not sure what the white is. Might be the flower.
Scrub blue jay Scrub blue jay
Scrub blue jay

or find Waldo....


23rd June 2010

Wonderful Pics
THese are great pics, glad you are sharing them. I wanna go there, it looks like a wonderful trip. See you soon

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb