Back in Action- recap


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After attempting to dry out our laptop charger in a bag of rice...we had to finally give in last night and buy a new one. So here are updates of our last adventures.

Jackson Hole/ Grand Tetons

We arrived via Oregon late in the evening and found a great ?parking spot/campsite/ field that allows camping! We stayed along the Snake River and woke up to a fire and breakfast along the water with the Tetons peeking out around the corner. We headed into town the next morning, found a campsite to call "home" and went off to tour the national park. The sites are incredible- you just stare up at the mountains in awe. The buffalo graze in the grass slowly and the elk stare up at your car as you stop to watch. Initially we signed up for two nights, then another two nights, then another day, its that kind of place.

The next few days we spent exploring both the old western town of Jackson Hole and the incredible scenery of the Grand Teton National Park. The weekend was Memorial Day and the town hosts "Old West Days" every year on this weekend- we took in the local scene with a cowboy chuck wagon dinner at a local cattle ranch and cowboy entertainment. As we walked through the buffet line more and more food was added to our plate, chicken-beef-beans- applesauce- corn bread....a meal only Jordan could finish (but a meal that mimicked what the ranchers 'back in the day' would eat as they herded the cattle toward the trains to be sold as beef)! But the big treat was actually having butter on our cornbread! We have not had butter on anything since we left, so when we could pick a package of butter we both look at each other...."Butter?!!!"

The next night we went to a rodeo with bull riding, bareback riding, cattle roping, and barrel racing. It was pretty interesting to watch, and is truly a sport! I found it funny that a lot of the bulls were sponsored by the Jackson Orthopedic Group - but those bulls probably keep them in business!!

We hiked one day around Jenny Lake- about 8 miles. It was a beautiful lake surrounded by steep mountains on one side and lush forest on the other. We hiked though a river bed and right behind a young bull moose was eating his morning snack. He didn't seem to mind us there, we walked slowly by (and then took lots of pictures with him!). We hike with bear spray out here. The bears are definitely around, but we make our presence known, and walk slowly around corners. We came across a "bear jam" (as they call them here) of people who has been watching a bear off trail in the distance but we saw no signs of him.

Wildlife is abundant here: our tally of animals scene=

Young bear(ran in front of our car, grizzly), Moose (1 hiking & 1 on our bike ride), lots of buffalo + elk + prong horn (they look a little like a deer/antelope with 'prong horns!', and a cute pair of ground hogs on our hike.

Our last day we spent road biking through the park (40miles) and got caught in a COLD rain storm on the way back, walking around the rustic town and some of the local shops. One local photographer who has incredible work is Thomas Mangelson. If you want to check out some absolutely amazing wildlife photos look him up online. We also found
Ox Bow Bend.Ox Bow Bend.Ox Bow Bend.

We went here at 4am one day to 'hunt for a bear photo' but never saw any!
the local Rec center for a "swim work out" but really....for a shower!

Enjoy the pictures....it simply beautiful in Jackson Hole. S*


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Mundane Cook StationMundane Cook Station
Mundane Cook Station

(this is our "home" for a few days.) We've had some rough ones!!
RAM Shout OutRAM Shout Out
RAM Shout Out

The way to tow...this combo has been very common throughout our trip. RAM's pulling sizable loads. I took a tally over a 5 hr span the other day 19 RAM's and 21 "Others" pulling large RV's or large livestock/horse trailers. Its clear that those who tow heavy choose RAM as it has bee more represented over any other brand. Thats all for my daily pitch...
Tough Morning River RunTough Morning River Run
Tough Morning River Run

...for these cowboys!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb