Granite Hot Springs, Wyoming


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson Hole
June 19th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Howdy from Granite Hot Springs, Wyoming. We’re wrapping up another great day outside of Jackson Hole near Hoback Junction. This morning, we went on a scenic, white water rafting trip down the Snake River with the Teton Expeditions. Initially, I thought that the river might be a little rough for the girls, but when I saw little, old ladies getting on the raft with oxygen tanks - I knew that we were in for a calm ride down the river. Our guide, Dave, did all of the paddling from the back and the raft and we were in charge of relaxing and watching for wildlife. During our fourteen mile float, we did see some pelicans and osprey, but the most impressive were the bald eagles and their nests. I’ve never seen a bald eagle outside of the Cincinnati Zoo! Our rafting guide also pointed out Uma Thurmon’s home and Harrison Ford’s 800 acres of land. We couldn’t see his home from the river. It’s believed that Ford bought the land right after Star Wars came out and that he built the ranch home himself because he used to be a carpenter. Ford lends the search and rescue team his helicopter when necessary and even flies it for them. We also learned that the Snake River got its name from the French. When the French met the Shoshone Indians, the Indians tried to explain that they were a weaving tribe and they would make a weaving motion with their hands. The French thought that they were a snake tribe, so they named the river Snake River. The girls really enjoyed the morning rafting trip - although Maddie was hoping for some white water to raft down. The guide told us that the water was only 40 degrees and that they girls definitely didn’t want to fall over board!
Once we left our rafting trip, we headed for Granite Hot Springs near Granite Canyon. Tony had to drive about ten miles on a bumpy, gravel road, but it was well worth the jostling once we saw the waterfall and swam in the natural, hot spring. The pool was made in the 1930s and collects water that flows from the hot spring. In the winter, the water temperature is 112 degrees. Snow mobilers pull up to the hot spring, put on their suits, and jump into the water. Today, it was 93 degrees! A week ago today, this area of Wyoming had snow, so people were swimming during the snowfall. Incredible! We spent about two hours just playing and relaxing in the water. The view was just amazing! We drove down the gravel road a ways and decided to camp there for the night because we had our own, personal view of the mountains and the valley. Tony and I just sat that there looking at our beautiful view while the girls acted crazy around the campground. After some delicious s’mores, we collapsed in our sleeping bags. Tomorrow is the day that the girls have been waiting for - horseback riding!! *I'll post more photos later. Slow internet access at the gas station!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb