Howdy! We're in Jackson Hole, Wyoming!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson Hole
June 18th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last night, we spent the night at Gros Ventre campsight which is near the Grand Tetons and just north of Jackson. After dinner, we went for a little hike at dusk and saw a large, female moose about 100 yards in front of us. We used the binoculars to watch it for a while - incredible! Afterwards, Tony and Julia hunted for fire wood and made our first rip roarin' fire. We wanted to make S'mores, but we didn't have any chocolate. Tony came up with the idea to subsititute chocolate pudding instead. It tasted great!

This morning, we drove into Jackson Hole. We finally feel like we're in an authentic cowboy town! Everything is so tough and rugged around here. With the Tetons as a backdrop, the view around town is breath-taking! We spent the first part of our morning, shopping downtown like typical tourists. We ate lunch at one of our favorite restaurants - Snake River Brewery. The meals are fabulous - beer not too shabby either! After that, we walked a few blocks to Snow King Resort where we all went down an alpine slide. You first have to take a chair lift up the side of the mountain. Maddie had sweaty palms the whole way up. The view up top was incredible. Then, you get to use a sled on wheels to slide all the way down. True to their personalities - Julia screamed "Faster, Dad, Faster!" the entire way down. Maddie, on the other hand, yelled at me the entire time - "You're going too fast! Slow down, Mom!" Of course, by the time both girls finished at the bottom, they wanted to try it again! We then went to our hotel room to check in for the night. Yes, that's right - I said HOTEL ROOM!! It's so lovely! After several nights of roughing it, the girls and I were ready for some plush accomodations. I told Tony not to bring up the cost because he would ruin my "happy place". We're staying at the Wyoming Inn. The girls love it here because there are snacks available 24/7 (including apples for Julia) and at night, they serve warm, homemade cookies! YUM! After resting in our room for a few hours, we drove to the Bar T 5 Ranch. We spent the rest of the evening with the friendliest (and cutest) cowboys from Wyoming. We took a covered wagon down a bumpy trail that led to a delicious dinner. While on the trail, a band of wild Indians came out riding on stallions, screaming their heads off. They rode so close to the covered wagons that one actually leaned in and grabbed Maddie's arm. I literally thought that Julia was going to wet her pets! For those of you who know how much Julia hates E.T., this was almost as bad! She spent the rest of the night, looking in the woods for the Indians. Occasionally, they would come out of the woods and a frontiersman would shoot them. Julia didn't relax until the Indians were gone for the night. Dinner was wonderful: roast beef, bbq chicken, rolls, corn on the cob, baked beans, salad and brownies for dessert. They also put on a show and played country music with a fiddle and a few guitars. Once, all the kids got to go up on stage and sing - "She'll be comin round the mountain." Julia loved it and wanted to go back up a second time. Of course, she fell asleep on Tony while the wagon was returning to our cars. All in all, it was another great day out west! The next two days will be very busy as well and I don't know if we'll have internet access, but I'll blog again as soon as possible! Miss you all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



19th June 2008

Indians
clay and I love reading your stories! It is our entertainment Gor the day! Especially today hearing about the Indians! I would have paid money to see the look on the girl's faces when they came out screaming! I made a bunch of bows for Mia today! I'll have to make matching ones for the girl's! miss you love Megan

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb