summer 2009 - Day 3


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Grand Teton National Park


We woke up and it was very cloudy and looked like rain. We got dressed, got in the car and started driving. We had breakfast in the car and started sightseeing. The sites of the Grand Tetons were magnificent. Amy and the boys really seemed to like it. We pulled over at many of the turnouts for pictures. We slowly made our way to Jenny Lake where we stopped an looked around at the lake and Ethan and I went down to the lake (at 10 yards of hiking). Then we got back in car and drove down to Jackson, Wy and then made our way over to Teton Village (Jackson Hole Ski Area). The plan was to take the Tram up to the top of the mountain to see the views. Amy decided should we do it even though she was very hesitant. We waited for the Tram and boarded it; we thought we might have a hard time getting Noah to go on, but that was a joke, he went right on with no hesitation. A few minutes later the doors closed and off we went. The view up the mountain were great, but the expression on the kids faces were priceless! Noah was having the time of his life and Ethan thought it was really cool; Amy didn’t look thrilled. About 8 minutes later we get to the top (10, 450’). Once we got off, we walked around on the top, a bit chilly. Ethan and I hiked up to the summit (not very far) The views were great! After a bit we decided to take the tram back down the mountain instead of eating at the restaurant up top. We thought the kids would like watching the tram as the ate from the bottom. As we were about to board the tram Cousins Gary and Ruth (from Cleveland) were getting off of the tram...what a small world, we had no idea they were there. We talked with them for a few minutes and then we all went back down via the tram. At the bottom we went to a little Grill, like all ski areas have, had drinks, the kids ate and talked for a while. Noah thought this was the greatest thing ever, watching the tram while eating!
We finally left Teton Village and went into Jackson to find a laundromat, we finally did and did a load of laundry. By then it was time to get dressed and make our way to the Chuckwagon Dinner. We drove over to Bar-T5 Ranch. Once there we parked the car and made our way to registration were we were given a card that told us which wagon we were on and what table we were eating at. After a 15 minute wait and a 10 minute introduction, which gave us the history of the ranch and the area; we boarded wagon “E” The 20 minute Wagon Ride, pulled by 2 very large horses, which took us up a trail to the area where the dinner was. On the ride we encountered some “indians”, we all really enjoyed the ride up. Once there we went into the pavilion, and sat down at table #4. Once everybody was seated we were given some information, then the dinner bell rang and we were off to get our food. They served, rolls, salad (with any dressing you wanted....as long as it was Ranch), baked beans, bbq chicken, roast beef, corn on the cob, water, lemonade, iced tea, and hot chocolate. It was all you can eat, the food was decent, but you wouldn't go just for the food. Desert was what the called brownies, we would call them cookies. After, dinner, it was show time. A 4 piece quartet, 2 guitars, 1 bass guitar and a fiddle. It was entertaining, old time country music with some goofy thing thrown in with audience participation. We all enjoyed the show, but Noah had a ball. It started pouring during dinner and throughout the show, but the rain just about stopped when the show did. Once it was over, we left the pavilion and boarded Wagon “E” to go back down to the ranch. When we got back down we looked a their store and then got in the car and left. Made a quick stop in the town of Jackson to take some pictures in front of the Arch made of Antlers. It was now about 8:45pm, much later than we expected. We had about an hours ride back to the Colter Bay Campground. It was not dusk and a great time to see wildlife as we drove. We saw many moose, elk and pronghorn. Unfortunately, there was not enough light to take pictures. The darker it got, the more concerned I became of animals in the road. Not sure why, I have driven in mountainous areas with tons of wildlife many, many times before. But for some reason was very apprehensive this time. So we kept driving, albeit carefully, made the left turn at Moran Junction, went past the guard gate into GTNP; we now had about 10 miles to the campground. By now, it was really dark out, cloudy so there really wasn’t any light from the moon. Sporadic traffic the other direction and nobody behind us. So, we are driving along, minding our own business and all of a sudden, there is an Elk - full grown female - standing directly in our lane in front of me. I never saw her, before I know it or could say a word my foot was slamming on the breaks, and Ethan screeches. Then I notice the Elk. By now, the front bumper was no more the 6-12” from the Elk before she darted away. Don’t know where she came from, don’t remember seeing her until after Ethan screeched, obviously I did, otherwise I would never have missed her. All I know is she was huge and we would have done a lot of damage to her and us; thankfully, nobody was hurt, shaken up....oh yes; it was quite difficult to finish the drive, but a few minutes later we made it to our campsite safe and sound. Changed into our sleep clothes and went to bed. Amy and the boys fell right asleep and of course I did not; I think I was still shaken up from the Elk incident. Anyway, in all my years of camping I never recall being cold at night; unfortunately this would be the first, from about 2 or 3am until we got out of the tent at about 7:30am, I was shivering. Oh well the next 2 nights we are in a hotel.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb