Dan - third post - Chicago to South Dakota


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin
September 16th 2009
Published: September 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

LaSalle StreetLaSalle StreetLaSalle Street

I know this used to be the longest "canyon" of 20-story-plus buildings in the world. Don't know it that's still true, but it sure looks impressive.
I walked over to the Loop on Monday morning and met Justin for perhaps the best cup of coffee ever at Intelligentsia. Then I went back to the hotel to wake up the boys and, after reorganizing and repacking the car, we set off for Wisconsin. Question: what do you call the man who is now married to the woman who used to be married to your brother? I already have "sister-ex-law" for Mary Ann, but what is Lyle? The only answer is, he's a really good guy and very welcoming to people only tenuously connected to him. We arrived around dusk at Mary Ann and Lyle's house, about 2 hours later than we were expected, and they had lasagna, salad, and cold beer ready for us, all delicious. Then we all went outside for a nice time around an open fire, talking about a variety of topics. Then we went back to the house for dessert. I am making it part of my trip to look for prime examples of the great American dessert (pie), in the tradition of Pascale Le Draoulec's food and travel classic American Pie. I think I may have already had the best I'm going to find. Lyle presented apple pie ala mode. He picked the apples off of his own tree that morning, made the crust from scratch, and baked it all to perfection.

Then, when I asked if we could do a load of laundry, Mary Ann proceeded to do it for us. Beyond the food and hospitality, it was just so good to see Mary Ann and Lyle. MA shared a bunch of photos that included Vicki, the boys, and I from years past. It was great to see those, too. After a good night's rest, we got up Tuesday morning for an abundant breakfast. Next time, we'll have to make sure there's time to play Lyle's amazing backyard golf course.

We then set off for South Dakota and the Badlands. Swinging through St. Paul, we headed south and back to I-90, where we embarked on an ocean of crops. It's probably mostly due to the lamentable dominance of corporate farming, but it was an impressive sight nonetheless to pass through seemingly endless fields of soybeans, sunflowers, sorghum, and, most of all, corn, stretching to the wide horizons. It was a heavy driving day, but when we crossed the Missouri River in mid-South Dakota, it was immediately clear we had transitioned from the Midwest to the West. The landscape was suddenly drier, more open, and the landforms more abrupt.

We pushed on into the setting sun, crossing into the Mountain Time Zone, and, contrary to all expectations, had just enough daylight to reach Badlands National Park.

Advertisement



20th September 2009

Pie
I will have to also work on my pies, nothing is better than a great pie. Even a good pie would be welcome. Keep writing,
20th September 2009

Lauren and Don
Both are asking us if we have heard from you. I guess they haven,t gotten your blog. Glad you are having such a great time. Its sunday and we went to church and now watching the redskins, who are winning at the moment. Its very dry hear and no grass to mow. Hume day was a little slow this year. Two many other things going on at the same time. Love to you all, Jean and Dave
25th September 2009

Great photo
That LaSalle Street photo is great. I love Chicago. Glad to hear you and the boys are having a great time. I think of you often when we're on 66 :)

Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb