We're on Vacation!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Shawano
August 20th 2010
Published: February 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

7/19/2010 - 7/25/2010.

Day 1 - Immediately following the Spook Cave trip, I was off to the north with my husband for a week's vacation. We are staying at mom and dad's place which is a nice little piece of pure relaxation. A river surrounding the property, a fire pit, and plenty of mosquitos to suck us dry, the house is a perfect place to hang out for a few days.

We left Monday morning and took the highway to get some fast miles behind us. With the city behind us, we got off the interstate and headed north on the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive. Riding past the lakes and enjoying the smell of the pine trees, we found our way to Parnell Tower and hiked up the gazillion stairs for hazy view of the countryside. With the flies and mosquitos planning their next meal, we got out of there fast!

We had lunch in Elkhart Lake and then rode to the end of the scenic drive. From there, we headed to Shiocton. Hubby wasn't too happy with the detour, but we finally make it to the house. Rain was on the way, so we quickly unloaded the bikes and headed to town for something to cook and refreshments. Mother nature decided to unleash, but we were lucky that it was just a brief shower.

Day 2 - We're off to Door County! I've been to Door County twice with the girls, but this was hubby's first trip. We headed east towards Green Bay and took the highway to the peninsula. We stopped to get Kolberg on the way. After a quick bite to eat at a Chinese buffet, we started our scenic tour. Highway T is nice winding road with mature trees, beautiful homes, and views of the lake. The road led us to Cave Point County Park with its magnificent cliffs and caves. We took a few pictures and got back on the bikes. There was much more to see.

We took 57 north to Q and took the backroads to Ellison Bay. Determined to reach the very tip, we continued to head north on 42 to where the ferry starts for Washington Island. The very last stretch surprised us with some wonderful S curves. With no road left, we turned around and headed south to enjoy the views of Sturgeon Bay. We made a detour into Peninsula State Park to climb the tower and enjoy the breathtaking views. After the park, we sampled some wines at the Cherry Hut and made our way to the Motorcycle Memorial, the final stop in our tour.

With dark clouds once again threatening us with rain, it was time to the twist the throttle and get the hell out of dodge. We were halfway to the cabin when it started to rain. Since hubby didn't have any rain gear, there was no choice but to keep riding. After we got off the highway, the rain finally stopped and we made it safely back to the cabin. Another wonderful adventure!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb