Milwaukie


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

OK so i've been slacking a bit with the blogging... Although i've been rather busy the past couple of weeks!

I found some free time now though so here it is!

So after nearly 4 weeks of braving the wide open world solo, it felt like i needed some familiar faces and more importantly: less responsibility! :D The family i stayed with near milwaukie, wisconsin were just the thing.

Long before actually starting my trip, i spoke to April Hunter, one of the youth leaders at our church (who originally lived in the states) about whether she knew of anyone in the states that i would be able to visit and stay with. One of the ones that stood out was her sister and family in wisconsin so we arranged for me to spend a couple of weeks with them. The family are Joe+Julie Washcovick and their three children, Sydney (14), Macs (12) and Sophia (10).
The Washcovicks live in a small town which i forgot the name of, about 30 minutes outside of Milwaukie. They have a big house and property very close to a small lake in the area and next to a forest on one side. It was great to have a nice open space to chill out in for a few weeks.

I didn't do too much at their house, mainly out of choice, I had some great books and spent most of my time reading, sleeping and eating. I did some kayaking, walking and bike-riding in the area as well though. The one night we went over to a friend of joe's place and did clay pigeon shooting which was absolutely sweet. I shot a 12 guage pump action, 12 guage semi auto, 20 guage and a 28 guage shotgun. Turns out i was pretty good at it as well, guess the hours of video games pay off when you want to kill something :P

It just so happened that they were going away to a lake-house about 2 hours drive north whilst i was staying with them and they invited me to join them. So we spent 3 or 4 nights at this awesome house on a lake with some of Joe's wider family. Sleeping, swimming, reading an eating was all we did. Really chilled out.

The day before i left the states was inependence day, really big thing in the states. So i joined them in celebrating getting rid of them.... i mean their independence from the english... haha! We went to a parade and then to some friend's house for a cookout and fireworks in the evening. It was kind of weird as i didn't know any of them, but i had plenty of conversation topics about my travels and i guess that was a point of interest. I was talking to this one guy for ages, he was really nice and down to earth. Just talking about what he did and what i want to do etc. On the way back to J+J's place i found out he was this like multi-millionare. He totally didn't act like it at all or try to make it known. I thought that was pretty cool, as he was probably the one that seemed the most genuinly interested and genuinly interesting 😊 Independence Day was actually pretty cool, I kinda wish we put that much effort into celebrating something back home. I mean the parade was huge, took about 2 hours or something to finish... and it was only a smallish town.

The next morning i started making my way to New Zealand.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



15th July 2008

kablamo
that sounds sweet man so all that time kill me and chaz on halo payed of it seems and i think ur right about there independence o as we say back home levin do and u need to keep up the bloging thing!!!
17th July 2008

that kitten is so cute!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb