Milwaukee and Chicago with Sara and Fiona


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On May 12th through 15th, Sara, Fiona, and I took the Megabus and explored Milwaukee, Whitefish Bay (a suburb of Milwaukee), and Chicago. Peg and Dick were extremely kind and welcoming; we stayed at their house in Whitefish Bay. It was a beautiful area, with Lake Michigan and all.

Monday, May 12th, we got to Milwaukee at about noon, took the city bus and got off at the wrong stop, about two miles away from their house. Peg was really nice to come and get us. That evening, Fiona, Sara and I walked to Bayshore, an outdoor mall (that's the stop we got off at originally.) The walk to and from the mall was really pretty, and it was a really nice day.

Tuesday was our downtown Milwaukee day. Dick had to go downtown, so he took us there and on the way, told us the stories behind specific mansions and other various landmarks. He also gave us good suggestions of what to see while downtown. None of us had been there before, so that was fun. We looked at the art museum, which has wings on the side of it which span out if it isn't too windy. The building is definitely its own work of art. After that, we walked around and window shopped and took pictures - the normal tourist activities. When we got back to Peg and Dick's house, they had made a really excellent dinner; it was a lot of fun to have dinner with them. Dick had grilled chicken, and we decided that he was the Grill King. There was also salad with avocados and strawberries, and ice cream. Before dinner, we got to meet the rabbit that frequently comes to their door looking for carrots, which usually happen to be there. 😊 There is a mommy rabbit and a baby rabbit, and we saw both of them at different times. That night, we watched two documentaries that Dick had made of them with their pet groundhog Baxter. Baxter will appear in a picture on here, in case you are curious. He makes great company and we got rather attached to him. I think said documentaries need to go on Youtube, because Baxter will undoubtably become famous; he has that charm to him. Plus, he is quite humorous - we laughed so hard we cried while we watched him on his adventures.

Wednesday was our Chicago day. Let me just preface this by saying that Peg and Dick are unbelievably thoughtful. We were originally planning to wake up at about 4:30 in order to catch the city bus at 5:15 and take it downtown to catch the Megabus to Chicago, which left at 6:30. However, Dick got up early so that he could drive us, which allowed us to sleep an extra hour. That extra hour of sleep proved to be an asset to our day in Chicago. So thank you again, Dick, for sacrificing your own sleep so that we could sleep a little longer. I will always appreciate that.

Because we only had one day in Chicago, we had to do an extremely abridged overview of it, and had to keep our exploring to a limited area. So, we stayed in the very center of the city, walked down Michigan Avenue pretending to be rich people; we looked at Millennium Park, the outside of the art institute, and went to Giordano's for the famous Chicago pizza. Then, we went into the 7-level shopping center and walked across the river and basically just wandered aimlessly. At 5:30 we went back to the Union Station to catch the Megabus back to Milwaukee, and got back at 7:30.

Thursday, we slept in, and then walked around Peg and Dick's neighborhood, found a beach by Lake Michigan, and walked around some more. Then we had to catch the bus at about 3:15 that afternoon to make it back to downtown in time to catch the Megabus. The Megabus turned out to be more than an hour late, so we told each other funny stories and made funny videos on my camera. On the bus ride back, Fiona had some fun with her crossword puzzle, which will be apparent in a couple of the pictures.

Thank you again, Peg and Dick, for the awesome week!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



25th May 2008

fun trip
Sounds like you had a fun trip. I enjoyed reading about your stay in our town. I was surprised you did not mention how cold it was here. The fountain across from the library is "school house park", my favorite place in the village. (wfb = whitefish bay) doglover.
25th May 2008

Thank you, Dog Lover! :)
Thank you for your comment. Yes, I really liked Whitefish Bay - it is such a pretty area. It is good to get a comment from a Whitefish Bay person. :) It didn't seem cold while we were there; then again, I'm Minnesotan, so who am I to judge that...? ;)

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb