Do You Have a Kohler Faucet?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Kohler
March 23rd 2024
Published: March 23rd 2024
Edit Blog Post

A few years ago, we (Mr. Mike and I) decided to fly into Milwaukee, drive up to Sheboygan, and golf up in Kohler. While the golf was okay, the food was better. I think I had only one birdie in three days of golf. I really did not care for the "fake" bunkers. But enough about golf.

Travel and Leisure: When you hear the name Kohler, you might think of the kitchen and bath brand or the host of the 43rd Ryder Cup, but those in the know may recognize it for the five-star resort destination tucked away near Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Kohler — one of the nation’s first planned communities — was designed by the Olmsted brothers as a factory town and garden community for the Kohler Company in the early 1900s. Located within a few hours of major Midwestern cities like Chicago and Milwaukee, this small Wisconsin town is now a resort destination offering the ideal combination of wellness, culture, and nature, making it the perfect weekend escape. Here’s what you need to know about visiting Kohler, Wisconsin, according to a local.


The American Club started its life around the turn of the century as housing for Kohler’s immigrant factory employees. In the 1980s, it was transformed into a five-star resort with three restaurants, a garden cafe, beautiful courtyards, and plenty of cozy nooks and crannies to explore. Of course, you can expect to find plenty of Kohler products throughout The American Club and the other on-property accommodations. (We did not stay here, but rather a Best Western in Sheboygan, as I recall) But we did stop by for a drink in their bar.


The design center: A childhood favorite destination of mine (Cassidy Grubisic), the Kohler Design Center is like the Disneyland of bathroom and kitchen showrooms. This three-floor building houses everything you could need to create your dream bathroom or kitchen. The lower level is a museum that shows the history of Kohler, the main floor showcases the newest products, and the top floor features model bathrooms designed by well-known interior designers like Samuel Amoia and Justina Blakeny. On-staff designers are also available to help guide visitors through the bathroom design process, perfect for people who come to Kohler for design inspiration. (I think we visited, just to kill some time before dinner).


Golf: Kohler is world renowned for its golf courses — it’s home to four of the top 100 public golf courses in the U.S. according to Golf Digest — and it has hosted PGA Tournaments and even the Ryder Cup. Perhaps best known is The Straits, one of two courses at Whistling Straits. This course follows two miles of Lake Michigan coastline and was designed by famous course architect, Pete Dye.

Once they play the courses at Whistling Straits, visitors should check out the three courses at Blackwolf Run. (We played both courses at Whistling Straits, and the river course at Blackwolf).
The resort has numerous restaurants, though we probably had a burger at the grill at Whistling Straits. We opted instead for the Friday night fish fry, and mostly beef (steaks and prime rib) that Wisconsin is known for. We also had a huge sample of Wisconsin ice cream. But the ice cream story is the best!


After a huge steak dinner, we decided to drive around Sheboygan and Kohler, looking for some famous Wisconsin ice cream. After all, it is known for its dairy and cattle ranches.


Not having much luck finding a real ice cream parlor, we finally found a gas station with a big roadside ice cream cone poster. It looked like a typical fast-food joint/convenience store, also selling lots of junk food and fishing tackle. Nestled in the back of the store was a tiny ice cream stand. We waited for the customer in front of us to receive her order. She got two orders of double scoop ice cream, two sundaes, and a banana split. Her total bill was $7!!! Unbelievable.


I think we ordered double scoop cones, with the total bill around $3. It may have been the best ice cream we have ever had!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb