Washington Island and Door County


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Door County
September 19th 2012
Published: September 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

August 22, 2010

On day two of our Door County adventure we drove, along with our friends Rod & Mary, to Gills Rock, the jumping off point to catch the ferry to Washington Island. We opted for a package that included a 90 minute guided tram tour of the island.

We should have taken the car over on the ferry. It was cheaper, and touring on our own would have been better than being at the mercy of the Viking Train Tram Tour.

Be that as it may, we saw an ostrich farm (additional $1). That is, everyone on the tram but me. I refused on principle to participate in this blatant money making scheme. We also stopped at Stavkirke (an old Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church), the Washington Island Farm Museum, and Schoolhouse Beach (mostly rocks).

With our car we would have been able to shop at the local flea market, grab a bite to eat at the drive-in, and spend a more leisurely time on the island.

Once back from Washington Island we drove to Sister Bay and had lunch at a Scandinavian cafe. After lunch our drive back to Green Bay took us through Fish Creek and Egg Harbor, both very quaint towns on the Green Bay side of the county.

Our only regret was not experiencing the traditional Fish Boil.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0838s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb