Washington on Sunday


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
April 29th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Visited lots of Washington monuments today but started off at the White House. Pretty impressive and gardens were lovely (although this is looking from the outside). Also saw property across the street that is used for White House guests such as the Queen. Enjoyed seeing this icon this morning.

What else did we do? Lots of memorials - Korean, Vietnamese and WW11. Also saw the Abraham Lincoln memorial...massive and fantastic. Stood on the step where Martin Luther King gave his "I have a dream speech". The peace pond (although empty for renovating) in front of this memorial was where Forest Gump & his girl met during the movie.

Also saw the George Washington memorial and went to Arlington cemetry (saw JFK's and Jacquie's resting place), changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and final resting places for those lost in the first Space Shuttle disaster (Columbus, I think).

Had a choice of several Smithsonian Museums we could visit...I went to the American History Museum which was good.

Today was a lot let 'manic' than yesterday so that was comforting. Doing an optional extra tour tonight....dinner and then a drive around to see Washington
Price of FreedomPrice of FreedomPrice of Freedom

Wall of stars representing those Americans lost in WW11. Each star represents 1000 people...400 stars.
light up at night.

Anyway, good day and tomorrow heading towards Amish Country and were told (jokingly...I think) that we should all wear elastic trousers as will be well fed...lol.

(PS: Shoulder is already beginning to feel a whole lot better...phew)

Cheers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Peace PondPeace Pond
Peace Pond

(empty) Scene from Forest Gump


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb