Seattle/Tacoma and Mt. Rainier (Dan)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Tacoma
September 25th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our drive from Yellowstone to Seattle was even longer than we expected, and we knew it would be a big driving day before we started. After leaving the park, we drove up through Montana, eventually connecting with I-90, then passing across the Idaho panhandle and into Washington state at Spokane. It was actually a good day in the car, other than just being tired of sitting. The open spaces of the West impart a sense of boundless freedom, at the same time reducing one's personal significance. Somehow, no problem can seem all that important in the face of such an expansive landscape.

Although it was way past dark, and way past dinner time, by the time we made it to David and Mirjana's house, they were waiting for us with cold beer, an outstanding Northwest snack of smoked salmon, cheese, fresh apples and pears, and pickled herring, and the kind of conversation we have all enjoyed through nearly 40 years of friendship. As with our other hosts along the way, we can't say enough about how much D and M did to make our visit special.

On Wednesday, we took a day to catch up with laundry and other "housekeeping" duties. Later in the day, we took the ferry over to Vashon Island, one of many occupied islands in Puget Sound, and home to an Orthodox monastery that Andrew was interested in visiting. The monastery is a very peaceful and welcoming place, and we shared some good conversation with the monks and abbot. Mirjana went with us, and since she is also Orthodox, I think there is now an added bond between her and Andrew.

On Thursday, David and Mirjana took the day off to go with us to Mt. Rainier National Park. The day started in a not-too-promising way, with pretty heavy overcast and some fog, but after we reached the park and started to drive to higher elevations, we broke through the clouds into another gloriously sunny day. We stopped to view Narada Falls, a pretty impressive drop, then continued to the Paradise Visitor Center and set off on a hike on one of the trails. Rainier is probably not appreciated as much as it should be, outside of the Northwest. The views are truly spectacular, and the early fall vegetation added beautiful splashes of color to vistas that were already awe-inspiring. After we completed the hike, everyone was hungry, so we drove back down to the falls for a great picnic lunch. We then headed back to Tacoma for beer and cigars on David and Mirjana's deck, complete with a picture-perfect sunset over Puget Sound, and followed by a terrific surf'n'turf dinner of silver salmon and steak. It was a great day, combining time with our friends and exploration of another special park.

Friday morning, it was time for our friends to leave for a wedding in Arizona, and time for us to set off for Victoria, British Columbia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

For my golfing friendsFor my golfing friends
For my golfing friends

We checked out the course at Chambers Bay, only a short distance from David and Mirjana's house.


1st October 2009

Absolutely fabulous
Thamks so much for taking us along with you on this odessy (sp?). You guys are getting positively poetic!
1st October 2009

Still in awe
I am still in awe of the beautiful pictures that you post. I imagine there must be many more! It sounds like you guys are having fun, you deserve it. I miss you guys and I can't wait to read about your next adventure! Love, Lauren
1st October 2009

Reminds me of Lahinch
The terrain at the Chambers Bay golf course sure reminded me of Lahinch! It has that look about it...

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb