The Burn


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
July 15th 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys

Just a quick one today I'm afraid, rather short on time. Just to let you all know that we're in the lovely Friends House in the University area of town (no more island life for us). Yesterday saw another mighty physical effort as we cycled all round Vashon Island on the bikes with no gears or breaks (love thoes downhills, Boo to thoes uphills). Plus we managed to miss a right turn (I don't know how we managed considering there are three right turns on the whole road!) and cycled an extra 5 miles of super hilly crountry.

Ftrom there it was back to Seattle propper to stay at the Friend's House. Unfortunately we only had a tourist map which showed the University district where the house was located to be a mere couple of km out of downtown. But alas the map scale was totally inaccurate and the house was infact 8km away! Great fun with full packs and a blazing sun. We were also slowed by many friendly locals wanting to know where we were heading, and to tell us all about their mountain rescue days ('the snow was THIS high' (indicating chest level).... 'I ain't sleepin in no van' etc etc) but finally we arrived at the House. If anyone is staying in Seattle I can recommend the Friends House, Kristin who looks after it is very friendly (guess you have to be working at the Friends House) and even invited us to her Friends birthday BBQ which was cool as had a view of the massive Mt Rainer from their back garden.

Today was also the day I felt I had truely arrived in America as I was able to say to Cesco "I'll meet you by the gun shop" Not something I've said too many times before!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb