Seattle


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
November 30th 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thanksgiving etc
We drove from Portland to Seattle on the day before Thanksgiving, stopping at Dairy Queen (or DQ as they like to be known now) in Olympia for burger number 10. Aunt Dorothy had to attend her MBA class on Wednesday evening, so we were hosted for dinner by cousin DeAnna, her partner Elle and dogs Lucy and Molly for a very nice dinner in their cute little house, about 20 minutes from where Aunt Dorothy lives.

Thanksgiving day was, as expected a triumph. We had a very light breakfast followed by several hours of finger food at lunchtime - cold meats, 6 types of cheeses, crackers, chips, salsa, vegetables, fruit etc. We watched the Macy's parade, the National Dog Show and the Seahawks get slaughtered (as expected) by the Dallas Cowboys.

We finally sat down to the traditional turkey dinner at about 7 o'clock, attended by DeAnna, Elle, cousin Justin and his wife Carol. Turkey, mashed potato, gravy, peas, carrots, sweet potato with brown sugar and marshmallow, jello salad, cranberry jelly and probably a host of other things I've forgotten. And we finished with two types of pie - apple and pumpkin.

Friday was a little slower, we visited the Glass Museum in Tacoma, featuring a few pieces by Dale Chihuly. The highlight of the museum (other than the Chihulys) was the Hot Shop, where we saw some glass blowers at work; very interesting stuff.

Saturday we spent downtown, touring the city by Duck, an amphibious vehicle that drove us through the city and then floated us on Lake Union. Fun. We looked through the Experience Music Project, the museum of Northwest popular music which, quite frankly, was disappointing. Then we went up the Space Needle for a wonderful view of the lights of Seattle at dusk.

We ate an enormous dinner at a local Mexican restaurant and are about to rock out on what I think is called Rock Band, the full band version of guitar hero. Look out neighbours!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb