Seattle - Another Food-Oriented Journey


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
July 30th 2005
Published: November 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A Mushroom Lover's DelightA Mushroom Lover's DelightA Mushroom Lover's Delight

Pike Steet Markets
For our final outing before tackling the Big Move Part 2, we decided to visit Seattle for the day. I must admit that, like oh so many of our excursions, the trip was largely food-motivated - my parents and I had eaten at a place in Seattle called Ivar's 15 years ago and remember it having had the best clam chowder the world has ever known. Our plan was to retrace our steps to this holy grail and relive the glory :-). This noble mission was not without its drawbacks - Seattle is, of course, in the U.S., and the prospect of another U.S. border crossing filled us with trepidation, given our last experience with the joys of U.S. Customs and Immigration.

Once again, they did not disappoint. After waiting for an hour queuing in the car at the border, they made us get out and queue for another hour in their office, fill out multiple forms and declarations, pass a verbal interrogation, have our fingerprints and photographs taken and pay ludicrous 'processing' fees (otherwise known as a clever, revenue-collecting venture for their annual Christmas party, no doubt).

Feeling somewhat violated, we were finally allowed to continue on our way. By this time, it was almost midday, so we headed straight to Ivar's to drown our woes with much-anticipated chowder. But alas - to our dismay, what met our eager palates was not the elixir we remembered so fondly, but a very mediocre, post-mix-type concoction. At some point in the last 15 years, they must have changed their recipe. The only person unconcerned by this molluscan calamity was Quin, who was more preoccupied with satisfying his icecream addiction - an objective we fulfilled next with more success.

We spent the rest of the day wandering the waterfront area and Pike Street Markets. Although Pike Street is rather touristy, it is hard not to be impressed by their tantalising displays of sumptuous fruits, exotic mushrooms, over-sized seafoods (for some reason, even the prawns here are as big as lobsters), fresh flowers and local handicrafts. We also managed to squeeze in a quick trip to REI, perhaps the best outdoors store in North America, where Quin and I stocked up on raincoats galore in preparation for the 6-month downpour that typifies a Vancouver winter.

Well, I am happy to say that good old Rufous handled his first big journey
Ivar's, 15 Years OnIvar's, 15 Years OnIvar's, 15 Years On

Sadly, their legendary chowder is not what it once was...
without a hitch - not driven by Quin or me, mind you. We chickened out and postponed the inevitable, letting Dad drive this time ;-).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Piles of Giant SeafoodPiles of Giant Seafood
Piles of Giant Seafood

Pike Street Markets
More Pike Street MarketsMore Pike Street Markets
More Pike Street Markets

Quin and me marvelling over fresh blue roses
Oh No, Not More Map Reading!Oh No, Not More Map Reading!
Oh No, Not More Map Reading!

Dad and Quin partaking in their favourite activity...


28th November 2005

Funny
Hey, Pip. Your map reading entries and comments are so funny. Ha ha ha ha. I miss your humour.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb