Assignment One, Part Four


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
July 30th 2007
Published: August 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Challenges of HIV/AIDS to the Urban Poor



1. Which issue did you select? Why did you select this issue? Why do you think this issue is important to study?
I chose the issue of challenges to the Urban Poor due to HIV/AIDS. I chose this issue because it is something that I am very interested in, as I hope to major in microbiology and someday study the virus. I feel this issue is important to study because it is a huge problem in Thailand as well as around the world. The problem with HIV/AIDS is even more a problem for the Urban Poor as they do not have the money to combat the disease. By showing the world how the disease affects people around the world by studying this issue, we can hopefully raise awareness and allow for further assistance to those who are suffering from it.

2. Please describe the issue: Its definition, impact, background and scope. Please present any data that you find about this issue as it relates to Thailand or Cambodia.
Basically this issue is about the disease of HIV/AIDS and how it affects those of a lower income differently than it does those of higher income. In Thailand and Cambodia, the government is not able to provide people who suffer from the disease much help when it comes to purchasing drugs to increase their lifespan and combat the pain caused by the disease. This leads to a much lower lifespan for those in poorer countries than for those in countries such as Britain and America. The first case of AIDS in Thailand occurred in 1984. At first gay men, injecting drug users, and sex workers were the main groups involved with the disease and the government took basic measures to control its spread. This was before it became an epidemic within the country. Originally, it was thought that AIDS was a foreign borne disease and a Thai person could only get it from a visitor to the country. One government official stated that, The general public need not be alarmed. Thai-to-Thai transmission is not in evidence.

Today, an estimated 580,000 people in Thailand are suffering from AIDS, 16,000 of which are children under the age of fifteen. AIDS is mostly passed through heterosexual sex and men are the overwhelmingly majority with a 3:1 ratio with women.

3. Why should the governments of Thailand and Cambodia be concerned about this issue?
The governments of Thailand and Cambodia should be concerned about this issue because it involves so much more than the sickness of a percentage of the population. An AIDS epidemic affects everything, including the population balance of parents to children; without a proper one the orphans will be flooded with children whose parents have died from HIV. It also affects tourism to the country. Without control on the disease, many foreigners will be hesitant to enter the country as it increases their risk as well. Having a widespread epidemic affects the economy of the country as well. Because of the disease, the country will alienate itself from countries who are not being hit with the disease as hard. Also, with the adults dying off, the workforce will become very limited and the country will not be as productive. Most of all, the government should care about its people enough to educate and help prevent the spread of this life-ending disease. It's up to the establishment to enable the population of Thailand to be educated enough to know how to prevent acquiring it.

4. What should the governments of Thailand and Cambodia be doing about this issue, if anything? Provide an example of what they are currently doing.
In 1991, with the election of a new Prime Minister, AIDS prevention became a forefront issue. The AIDS control program was given more political influence and its budget was increased 20x to 44 million dollars. Also, a massive public education program was started with AIDS facts being aired on every radio station every hour and AIDS education became mandatory in all schools. The "100 percent condom usage" program was also started, which required all sex workers to use condoms and those found not using them would be shut down.

In 1992, the national AIDS program received another increase in funding, up to 80 million annually by 1996. The increase of funding allowed for studies that started the AZT program. AZT is a drug used on pregnant women to stop the transmission of AIDS from mother to child. It can reduce the transmission by up to 50%! (MISSING)The AZT drug is now used in most hospitals.

The current "National Plan for the Prevention and Alleviation of HIV/AIDS in Thailand" has a target goal of reducing the AIDS prevalence rate to less than 1%!a(MISSING)nd a goal to provide access to care and support to at least 80%!o(MISSING)f those suffering from HIV/AIDS.

Although Thailand has made major improvements to the AIDS epidemic, fear of a resurgence epidemic is there. To prevent the resurgence, the government needs to step up on prevention efforts especially within the high risk groups.

There is still an opportunity to prevent a resurgence... but to do that the government has to focus on prevention, and that isn't happening.

- Swarup Sarkar, UNAIDS


5. Are there any NGOs, International Organizations or businesses involved with this issue? Will we be visiting any of these organizations?
There are many NGOs, Internaltional Organizations and businesses that are all involved with this issue of AIDS prevention and help those who are sick. During the 1990s, many NGOs started helping the Thailand AIDS epidemic. In 1999, over 373 organizations were active. AIDS NGOs and groups formed by People Living with HIV/AIDS have both helped tremendously in Thailand's response to the problem.

One group is the Thai Red Cross Society, which has been training health care workers and supports clinical trials for more medication. NGOs and public formed groups are often the ones who reach the most marginalized populations that are affected by HIV such as the homosexual community, sex workers and drug users who are often not reached by governmental programs.

We will be visiting the Life Home Project, a NGO which helps children who have been affected by AIDS, either through obtaining the disease or losing their parents to the disease. They care for the children because no one else has the ability to.


(All information obtained from http://www.avert.org/aidsthai.htm and
http://www.youandaids.org/Asia%!P(MISSING)acific%!a(MISSING)t%!a(MISSING)%!G(MISSING)lance/Thailand/index.asp)




The Life Home Project



Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb