Local talent


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Kirkland
August 6th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wanting to experience some local stuff in our first week, on Tuesday we headed across the road to the Irish-themed (and therefore slightly cheezee) Wilde Rover pub, where resident band the Jam Dawgs (their spelling not mine) hold a weekly jamming session with musicians from around town. Cue some bejeaned men in loud shirts sporting dubious facial hair and ponytails playing rock n roll toons on electric guitars. Actually it was quite fun - lots of wooping and spin your pardner by the hand-type of thing. We didn't dance - we sat Britishly in a booth and smiled from a distance.

Yesterday was the weekly Kirkland Farmers Market down on Marina Park, which is right on the waterfront. Lots of expensive chutneys, vegetables and flowers on offer, as well as fresh popcorn, pizza, Greek-style kebabs (or gyros as they call them) and ice cream. Throw in the car park full of 4x4s and well-to-do families taking their Joshes and Rileys out for the day, and we could have been in Chiswick. We spent $10 on some hummus and crackers - mainly because the lady who runs the hummus stall is from Newbury and told us about The British Pantry, where we can buy Worcester Sauce, Marmite and Oat cakes (praise be!). She's our nbf.

Then today we went to a mini music festival in the grounds of Bastyr University, a holistic medical university, where the food was vegan and the music was family-friendly folksy.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb