Lake Chelan - orientation day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Chelan
September 2nd 2016
Published: September 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

A great place for coffee stopA great place for coffee stopA great place for coffee stop

2 Miles approx from the house and about 45 minutes walk we finally found a great place for real good well made coffee. The best in North America! So far.
Excellent! We have sourced a great coffee location AND within walking distance. We didn’t know exactly where we were to go but did know it was a couple of miles (miles here) up the lake further so we figured after 45 minutes that Kelly’s Store must be it. It had a lovely sitting place outside right over the lake and the coffee was certainly up to scratch so we made the appropriate comments. We shall return.

By the time we were back at the house it was midday and Don had left me a couple of geology books on the area to read. What an interesting location. I had seen the erratics, granites, basalts and marble along the way so it was great to put them into geological history. I would love to go out with a geologist and visit the many sites.

We decided that we would spend the afternoon orienting ourselves with Chelan so drove into town and down the other side of the lake towards Manson and way up to the hill top where there were fabulous large houses and gardens. At least they weren’t set off in 600sqm sections.

Back in Chelan we visited
The strange things you seeThe strange things you seeThe strange things you see

While walking to the cafe we came across this BBQ sitting on the side of the road with Works and Free on the board beside it
the Information Centre which is modern and spacious with a most helpful person attending. We gathered lots of information to go home and digest. We then moved on to the evening Thursday Market where I discovered a mineral seller and had to go and have a look. Most of the specimens I recognised but not one that looked like pale granite with blue ink splashed on it. I questioned the seller as he called it K2 mineral, from K2 the mountain in Pakistan. I was sceptical as azurite doesn’t occur in granite so figured I’d look it up on the internet. After some discussion about occurrence etc, he gave me a small piece with the blue circle on it. How kind was that? I will have something to show the R&M club at home! Anyway, he was quite right, if you look it up it says it’s azurite in granite. So, I have something very rare indeed.

We called in to top up the car with petrol. You have to prepay before filling so Linds figured that $30 should do the job for 3/4 of a tank. He filled it and used only $21 so lesson learned - don't
The house from The CoveThe house from The CoveThe house from The Cove

A short distance up the road is The Cove where there is a small mariner. The house is the first from the trees on the right
put in too much money as petrol is cheap here - $2.66 for a gallon.

After a shortish walk around the river basin we headed off home to digest the information we now have. Jane called and suggested that we have a meal together on Saturday followed by a boat trip on Sunday. Sounds great! So, we’ll see if Andrew and Erin are coming over from Spokane and make a decision from there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb